Yadier Molina headed to disabled list with right knee sprain

Jul 30, 2013, 11:29 PM EDT

yadier molina getty Getty Images

The biggest series in PNC Park history is off to a promising start. For the home team, that is.

The Cardinals entered the five-game set with a 1 1/2-game lead over the Pirates in the National League Central standings and are now 1 1/2 games back after three straight losses. But wait. There’s more.

According to MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, Yadier Molina was lifted in the fourth inning of Tuesday night’s 6-0 defeat with what’s being called a right knee sprain. Yadi allowed a rare passed ball in the second inning and did not even attempt a throw on a runner stealing second base a few pitches earlier.

The Cardinals are going to reevaluate the five-time Gold Glove winner on Wednesday morning. It seems highly possible that Tony Cruz and Rob Johnson will have to finish out this crucial series in Pittsburgh.

***********************

UPDATE, 11:33 p.m. ET: Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Molina is headed back to St. Louis for an MRI on his right knee. He is expected to be placed on the 15-day disabled list.

1. 13arod - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Cardinals suck now the pirates are going to win division

• cohnjusack - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Jesus Christ, it’s a losing streak and it happens. Yeah, it’s a bummer, but even these guys had a 4 game losing streak once:

(yeah…I know this is a 6 game losing steak, but the 2013 Cardinals also aren’t the 1927 Yankees)

2. kvanhorn87 - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Carlos Ruiz is available. Just saying.

• paperlions - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Carlos Ruiz isn’t any good any more….just saying.

3. benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:23 AM

ONO – my brother – maybe a bigger ass would have displaced gravity in a better way for your knee. More fried plantains my brother.

4. xmatt0926x - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:19 AM

chooch…………

5. therealtrenches - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Man…the “best franchise in baseball” walks into Pittsburgh with a lead in the division and emerges bloodied and in second place.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 31, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Really? This fan is applauding the Pirates. Did so on another article a few days ago…while wishing him luck in this particular series. But I can somewhat appreciate where you are coming from trenches. Success breeds jealousy. Apparently to the point of leading some people to fabricate shit. You might want knock that chip off your shoulder. It isn’t good for you.
      By the way…good luck to tonight!

• therealtrenches - Jul 31, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I’m not a Pirates fan, just an innocent bystander. I admire your team. Your front office runs it well!

But I have never been able to stomach the holier-than-thou mentality among Cardinals fans. You people are *so convinced* that you are model sports fans and take great pleasure in patting the rest of us on the head while we show real human emotion.

It’s therefore really funny to see some of you “model fans” barely able to keep from slinging insults like the rest of us, just because your team got beat up in this series.

Yes, there’s a lot of baseball left and I fully expect that the Cardinals aren’t “done,” but for the moment, your team will have to lick its wounds, and you’ll have to endure the slings and arrows of Pirates fans. Let them have their fun rather than crying about their “cockiness.”

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Quite frankly…I despise that “baseballs best fans” bullshit. In fact…the only people I ever hear mention it are a handful of announcers and fans of other teams while trying to talk shit.
      I am not going to apologize for good sportsmanship.
      Regardless of whether people think it is insincere (see your pat on the head reference).
      And just for the record…this Cardinals fan has already posted on another article that I absolutely hope the Pirates win it all if the Birds on the Bat can’t. Further, I think baseball is better when the Pirates are competitive. I haven’t posted one negative thing about the Pirates team…their organization, or their respective fan base.
      So your post (in my opinion)…is horseshit.
      It also leads me to believe you are the one with the issue.
      It isn’t Cardinals fans. And it’s obvious.

• stex52 - Jul 31, 2013 at 11:05 AM

You know what? “Best fans” is tough to live up to, but I have seen numerous occasions where Cards fans were very sportsmanlike. This from the fan of a team that spent several years in intense competition with St. Louis. I’m very comfortable saying that they are good fans and appreciative of good baseball.

I could name some other cities where it certainly isn’t true. And I will confess right off that Houston is not an exceptionally good baseball town.

• therealtrenches - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Either the “best fans in baseball” thing really is bullshit, or my post calling bullshit on it is “horse shit,” but both can’t be true.

Unbunch your panties, dude. I’ve been to plenty of Cardinals games, and by and large, the fans there are truly wonderful. They root with passion, are pretty much regular folk, and roll their eyes when they hear the phrase “best fans in baseball.”

Then there are people like you, who only need the slightest provocation to ram their good sportsmanship down our throats. So you want the Pirates to win if the Cards can’t? Good for you! How many times do you have to say it? Until we give you a medal for it? Will that shut you up?

Protest all you like. But posts like yours are the reason your fanbase is developing a reputation for condescension. The nice folks I see at Cardinals games (I’m there two or three times per year) are embarrassed by you.

• paperlions - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Ah yes, making up reasons to despise someone. How novel.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:57 PM

The “best fans” is very much bullshit. Your post was also horseshit. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. You spout nonsense and then try to swell up when you are called out for it?
      I don’t need (nor want) your acknowledgement. Further, I don’t need your approval.
      I was merely pointing out that (frankly)…you don’t know your ass from a hole in the ground.
      Simply put…I tire of the holier than thou “best fans” crap. Again…the only people I see and/or hear use that term are a handful of douchebag announcers and people such as yourself.
      Just look at your posts and my responses. It pretty much tells the story of who should be embarrassed, who is running their trap irresponsibly and who is otherwise talking through their ass. Not a huge deal…I will just have to add you to the list.

Good luck to you guys (whomever they are)…the rest of the year Trenches.
      I hope they do well. Hopefully, this will allow you to remove the chip from your shoulder.

• therealtrenches - Jul 31, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Lighten up, Francis.

• gostlcards5 - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I don’t know about previous instances with you and stl1, trench, but it seems to me that you are starting the argument, so I think you need to get over it.

Personally, as I have stated before, all fan bases have idiots and knuckleheads. The Cardinals fan base is no different in that respect. The moniker is what it is….some people’s opinion. I really don’t know why people get so blown up about it with Cardinals fans anyway, because there are many other fans, media, athletes who also proclaim themselves or their fans “the best in” their sport. Either way, it doesn’t bother me. I’m a Cardinals fan, but I’m also a baseball fan. I grew up in the country with 3 channels, so if StL wasn’t on over the weekend, I was stuck watching Dodgers’, Yankees’, Red Sox’ games (because what else on the TV would be better?). So, I just like good baseball.

On the subject of the Pirates, I have loved seeing them be relevant for the last 3 years, and have wished that they hadn’t run out of steam after the ASB the last 2 seasons. They are FOR REAL this year, I believe, but it remains to be seen. Their pitching is very good, and you can’t watch McCutchen play without marveling at what a stud he is (seems to be a good guy, too). The Cardinals have been a surprise, with the uncertainty in the rotation and bullpen, plus some of the injuries they’ve had. They have to prove now that they can handle the adversity. I believe that they will, because they usually do, but same as the Bucs, it remains to be seen.

• therealtrenches - Jul 31, 2013 at 9:29 PM

You’re entitled to your opinion, gosticards.

But you’ve gotta admit: the argument started with my comment “I wonder if their exemplary fans are applauding the Pirates excellent play today in order to show the rest of us that they are “the best fans in baseball.””

And since then, stl1 has pretty much answered my question for me in the affirmative by pointing out over and over what a great great baseball fan he is by applauding the Pirates’ excellent play. All the while, he has crept closer and closer towards freak out levels of anger. In his last post, he’s pretty much frothing…over a comment war, no less.

So you tell me…who needs to get over it?

You’re right that every fan base has its knuckle heads. He’s one of em, I have no doubt.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 1, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I am not going to waste any more time on you. Your trolling is obvious.
      Just look at all the posts. Have a good day Trenches.
      I hope things get better for you. I mean that sincerely.

6. prov1x - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Awfully cocky coming from fans whose team hasn’t been relevant for 20 years. It’s July. Lets see where it ends up. And if the Pirates win the division, hats off to ‘em.

7. Uncle Charlie - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Cardinals have been playing over their heads. Reversion to the mean should have been expected.

• therealtrenches - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:09 AM

This is classic. Cardinals fans probably don’t even recognize the irony: it’s what they’ve been saying about the Pirates for the last two years.

• paperlions - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:54 AM

If you don’t understand what regression to the mean means, then you shouldn’t use the term….because what it does NOT mean, is that performance is expect to regress to league average.

8. blues1988 - Jul 31, 2013 at 8:57 AM

i love this though, every other year its a new fan base. mid 2000′s astros, then brewers, then reds, now pirates. who’s there every year? the cardinals… stay cocky pirates fans, its 1.5 games and there is plenty of baseball left.

9. stlouis1baseball - Jul 31, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Wonderful news! And what a shocker? I mean…it isn’t like his knee has being giving him fits since a week (or three) prior to the all star game. So let’s go ahead and sit him down now. This is certainly a far better time than the week (or three) prior to the all star break. Since they chose not to sit him down the week (or three) prior to the all star break they have no choice but to do so now.

Gahhh!

10. paperlions - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:55 AM

When it rains, it pours, I guess. Needed some rain anyway, ground was getting hard.

11. kfiz14 - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:10 PM