Jul 31, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Angels no longer expect to trade Aybar by today’s 4 p.m. ET non-waiver deadline. Anaheim reportedly asked for one of the Cardinals’ top two pitching prospects — Carlos Martinez or Michael Wacha — in return for Aybar and were swiftly turned down.
Aybar is under contract through 2016 and the Angels don’t have a major league-ready replacement for him at short. The 29-year-old has batted .278/.306/.380 with four home runs and 38 RBI in 83 games played this season.
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 0
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 10
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)