Jul 31, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Angels no longer expect to trade Aybar by today’s 4 p.m. ET non-waiver deadline. Anaheim reportedly asked for one of the Cardinals’ top two pitching prospects — Carlos Martinez or Michael Wacha — in return for Aybar and were swiftly turned down.
Aybar is under contract through 2016 and the Angels don’t have a major league-ready replacement for him at short. The 29-year-old has batted .278/.306/.380 with four home runs and 38 RBI in 83 games played this season.
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 7
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)