Jul 31, 2013, 2:34 PM EST
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Angels no longer expect to trade Aybar by today’s 4 p.m. ET non-waiver deadline. Anaheim reportedly asked for one of the Cardinals’ top two pitching prospects — Carlos Martinez or Michael Wacha — in return for Aybar and were swiftly turned down.
Aybar is under contract through 2016 and the Angels don’t have a major league-ready replacement for him at short. The 29-year-old has batted .278/.306/.380 with four home runs and 38 RBI in 83 games played this season.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 16
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 49
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)