Jul 31, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
Pena was batting just .209/.324/.350 with eight home runs and 25 RBI in 85 games this year for the Astros and he hit .197/.330/.354 in 160 games last year for the Rays. But he still owns a cool .813 career OPS and could draw some interest in free agency from contending teams seeking a powerful bench bat.
Pena, 35, inked a one-year, $2.9 million free agent contract with the Astros back in mid-December to serve as the club’s primary first baseman. Brett Wallace has since taken over that gig.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)