Jul 31, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
Pena was batting just .209/.324/.350 with eight home runs and 25 RBI in 85 games this year for the Astros and he hit .197/.330/.354 in 160 games last year for the Rays. But he still owns a cool .813 career OPS and could draw some interest in free agency from contending teams seeking a powerful bench bat.
Pena, 35, inked a one-year, $2.9 million free agent contract with the Astros back in mid-December to serve as the club’s primary first baseman. Brett Wallace has since taken over that gig.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 28
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)