Jul 31, 2013, 9:37 PM EDT
Pena was batting just .209/.324/.350 with eight home runs and 25 RBI in 85 games this year for the Astros and he hit .197/.330/.354 in 160 games last year for the Rays. But he still owns a cool .813 career OPS and could draw some interest in free agency from contending teams seeking a powerful bench bat.
Pena, 35, inked a one-year, $2.9 million free agent contract with the Astros back in mid-December to serve as the club’s primary first baseman. Brett Wallace has since taken over that gig.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (98)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)