Jul 31, 2013, 9:37 PM EST
Pena was batting just .209/.324/.350 with eight home runs and 25 RBI in 85 games this year for the Astros and he hit .197/.330/.354 in 160 games last year for the Rays. But he still owns a cool .813 career OPS and could draw some interest in free agency from contending teams seeking a powerful bench bat.
Pena, 35, inked a one-year, $2.9 million free agent contract with the Astros back in mid-December to serve as the club’s primary first baseman. Brett Wallace has since taken over that gig.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)