Jul 31, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
2:32 p.m. EDT update: FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal hears that the Angels are likely to keep Kendrick since they haven’t been offered the kind of starting pitcher they want.
Residing in last place with a 49-57 record in the AL East, the Blue Jays aren’t looking for any rentals at the trade deadline. However, they do have their eyes on the Angels’ Howie Kendrick, according to Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.cn.
Kendrick could fill the hole at second base that’s been a problem for Toronto this year. The Blue Jays recently tried Brett Lawrie there, only to quickly move him back to third. The 30-year-old Kendrick has hit .301/.344/.446 with 11 homers and 45 RBI in 395 at-bats for the Angels. He’s under control through 2015 and is owed about $22 million over the next 2 1/3 seasons, but he became a bit more expendable last night with the pickup of Grant Green in the Alberto Callaspo deal with Oakland.
In return for Kendrick, the Angels would certainly prefer young, cost-controlled starting pitching. The Jays don’t have a lot to offer, though, not with Brandon Morrow hurt yet again. Chad Jenkins, their most major league-ready pitcher in Triple-A, is also on the DL. They do have intriguing arms further away, but those might not be so tempting to an Angels team that will aim to contend in 2014. Infielder-outfielder Emilio Bonifacio would make sense as a lesser part in a deal, but not as the prime piece.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 43
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (98)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)