Jul 31, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
As first reported by MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, the Cardinals have placed catcher Yadier Molina on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained right knee. Molina has been dealing with the knee injury since early July and he aggravated it on Tuesday night in St. Louis’ 6-0 loss at Pittsburgh’s PNC Park.
Shane Robinson has also been placed on the 15-day disabled list because of a right shoulder strain. The Cardinals have called up outfielders Adron Chambers and Brock Peterson from Triple-A Memphis to fill both vacant roster spots.
The Cardinals are on the hunt for catching help in case Molina’s knee injury proves serious. The five-time Gold Glove winner and five-time All-Star was scheduled to undergo an MRI back in St. Louis on Wednesday morning. Tony Cruz and Rob Johnson will split time behind the plate for now.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)