Jul 31, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
As first reported by MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, the Cardinals have placed catcher Yadier Molina on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained right knee. Molina has been dealing with the knee injury since early July and he aggravated it on Tuesday night in St. Louis’ 6-0 loss at Pittsburgh’s PNC Park.
Shane Robinson has also been placed on the 15-day disabled list because of a right shoulder strain. The Cardinals have called up outfielders Adron Chambers and Brock Peterson from Triple-A Memphis to fill both vacant roster spots.
The Cardinals are on the hunt for catching help in case Molina’s knee injury proves serious. The five-time Gold Glove winner and five-time All-Star was scheduled to undergo an MRI back in St. Louis on Wednesday morning. Tony Cruz and Rob Johnson will split time behind the plate for now.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 11
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 49
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)