Jul 31, 2013, 2:17 PM EST
As first reported by MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, the Cardinals have placed catcher Yadier Molina on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained right knee. Molina has been dealing with the knee injury since early July and he aggravated it on Tuesday night in St. Louis’ 6-0 loss at Pittsburgh’s PNC Park.
Shane Robinson has also been placed on the 15-day disabled list because of a right shoulder strain. The Cardinals have called up outfielders Adron Chambers and Brock Peterson from Triple-A Memphis to fill both vacant roster spots.
The Cardinals are on the hunt for catching help in case Molina’s knee injury proves serious. The five-time Gold Glove winner and five-time All-Star was scheduled to undergo an MRI back in St. Louis on Wednesday morning. Tony Cruz and Rob Johnson will split time behind the plate for now.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)