Jul 31, 2013, 2:17 PM EST
As first reported by MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, the Cardinals have placed catcher Yadier Molina on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained right knee. Molina has been dealing with the knee injury since early July and he aggravated it on Tuesday night in St. Louis’ 6-0 loss at Pittsburgh’s PNC Park.
Shane Robinson has also been placed on the 15-day disabled list because of a right shoulder strain. The Cardinals have called up outfielders Adron Chambers and Brock Peterson from Triple-A Memphis to fill both vacant roster spots.
The Cardinals are on the hunt for catching help in case Molina’s knee injury proves serious. The five-time Gold Glove winner and five-time All-Star was scheduled to undergo an MRI back in St. Louis on Wednesday morning. Tony Cruz and Rob Johnson will split time behind the plate for now.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (155)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (90)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (76)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)