Jul 31, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina made an early exit from Tuesday night’s 6-0 loss to the Pirates with what is being labeled a right knee sprain. He is back in St. Louis on Wednesday for an MRI, which is expected to yield a more exact diagnosis.
It’s probably safe to assume the injury is serious.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Cardinals have suddenly changed course and are looking to add a new catcher before the 4 p.m. ET trade deadline. Tony Cruz and Rob Johnson are the current options behind the plate for St. Louis.
Molina, 31, is widely regarded as the best defensive catcher in baseball and was batting .330/.374/.479 with eight home runs and 54 RBI through 98 games this season. He’s irreplaceable, but the Cards will try.
The Cardinals are currently 1 1/2 games back of the Pirates in the National League Central standings.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)