Jul 31, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina made an early exit from Tuesday night’s 6-0 loss to the Pirates with what is being labeled a right knee sprain. He is back in St. Louis on Wednesday for an MRI, which is expected to yield a more exact diagnosis.
It’s probably safe to assume the injury is serious.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Cardinals have suddenly changed course and are looking to add a new catcher before the 4 p.m. ET trade deadline. Tony Cruz and Rob Johnson are the current options behind the plate for St. Louis.
Molina, 31, is widely regarded as the best defensive catcher in baseball and was batting .330/.374/.479 with eight home runs and 54 RBI through 98 games this season. He’s irreplaceable, but the Cards will try.
The Cardinals are currently 1 1/2 games back of the Pirates in the National League Central standings.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (148)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)