Jul 31, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina made an early exit from Tuesday night’s 6-0 loss to the Pirates with what is being labeled a right knee sprain. He is back in St. Louis on Wednesday for an MRI, which is expected to yield a more exact diagnosis.
It’s probably safe to assume the injury is serious.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Cardinals have suddenly changed course and are looking to add a new catcher before the 4 p.m. ET trade deadline. Tony Cruz and Rob Johnson are the current options behind the plate for St. Louis.
Molina, 31, is widely regarded as the best defensive catcher in baseball and was batting .330/.374/.479 with eight home runs and 54 RBI through 98 games this season. He’s irreplaceable, but the Cards will try.
The Cardinals are currently 1 1/2 games back of the Pirates in the National League Central standings.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)