Jul 31, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT
Kevin Gregg has a 5.79 ERA in 14 innings this month and interest in him has cooled. So the Cubs are apparently pulling him back from the trade block.
ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Cubs “could wait until August” to deal the 35-year-old righty, who has 22 saves in 26 chances this season and a cool 3.05 overall ERA. The deadline for traditional trades is Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET but some players can still be moved through waivers up until August 31.
The Braves were said to have some interest in Gregg back in late June. The veteran reliever is scheduled to hit the free agent market this winter.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)