Jul 31, 2013, 1:43 PM EST
Kevin Gregg has a 5.79 ERA in 14 innings this month and interest in him has cooled. So the Cubs are apparently pulling him back from the trade block.
ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Cubs “could wait until August” to deal the 35-year-old righty, who has 22 saves in 26 chances this season and a cool 3.05 overall ERA. The deadline for traditional trades is Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET but some players can still be moved through waivers up until August 31.
The Braves were said to have some interest in Gregg back in late June. The veteran reliever is scheduled to hit the free agent market this winter.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)