Jul 31, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
The non-waiver trade deadline hit at 4PM EDT today. It was pretty uneventful compared to years past, with lots of chatter but very few deals. Here’s what we had go down today before the non-waiver trade deadline:
- The Dodgers acquired Drew Butera from the Twins for a player to be named;
- The Orioles receive Bud Norris in exchange for outfielder L.J. Hoes and pitcher Josh Hader;
- The Royals acquired outfielder Justin Maxwell from the Astros in exchange for right-hander Kyle Smith;
- The Padres acquired starter Ian Kennedy from the Diamondbacks in exchange for reliever Joe Thatcher, right-hander Matt Stiles and the Padres’ post-second round competitive balance pick in the 2014 draft.
Before today, we had the following in the two weeks leading up to the deadline:
- Jake Peavy going from the White Sox to the Red Sox, Jose Iglesias going from the Red Sox to the Tigers and Avisail Garcia going from the Tigers to the White Sox;
- The Cardinals trading Marc Rzepczynski to the Indians for minor league infielder Juan Herrera;
- The Angels traded infielder Alberto Callaspo from the Angels for second base prospect Grant Green;
- The Astros traded Jose Veras to Detroit for outfield prospect Danry Vasquez and a player to be named later;
- The Braves acquired reliever Scott Downs from the Angels for Cory Rasmus;
- The Rays acquired reliever Jesse Crain from the White Sox for future considerations;
- Alfonso Soriano traded from the Cubs to the Yankees for pitching prospect Corey Black;
- The Brewers sent reliever Francisco “K-Rod” Rodriguez to the Orioles for infielder Nick Delmonico;
- The Cubs sent Matt Garza to the Rangers for Triple-A third base prospect Mike Olt, Single-A pitching prospect C.J. Edwards, MLB right-hander Justin Grimm, and a player to be named later;
Not the most active deadline in recent memory. There are reasons for this. The second wild card and greater overall parity in baseball puts more teams in the mindset of contenders, leading to a profound lack of teams selling off parts wholesale. The Cubs did it. The Astros. That’s pretty much it.
Also limiting trades: the lack of teams unloading players who are poised for free agency in cost-savings moves. Teams are locking up their talent earlier and earlier these days, meaning fewer cost-avoidance deals. Teams also have more money thanks to escalating TV contracts. All of this makes for a much less liquid trading market than we’re used to seeing.
That doesn’t mean the deals are done, of course. Between now and the end of August teams can still complete trades of players who have cleared waivers. Trades of any kind which are completed before August 31 will allow the player in question to appear on a team’s postseason roster.
No matter how the trades come, however, keep a tab open with HBT at all times, as we’ll give you everything you need to know of the comings and goings of players along with our usual wall-to-wall baseball coverage.
Jul 26, 2014, 12:28 AM EDT
Triples galore for the Dodgers in San Francisco on Friday night.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
Ichiro Suzuki went yard for the first time this season, taking Mark Buehrle deep. He had previously homered on August 30 last year against the Orioles.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
Jose Bautista isn’t a huge fan of the beards Athletics Derek Norris and Sean Doolittle are sporting.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
The Independent League is taking measures to speed up games. Could MLB do the same?
According to Five Thirty Eight, Billy Beane’s A’s have exceeded expectations by nearly $1.38 billion
Jul 25, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
We knew Billy Beane was good… but that good?
Jul 25, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
The Cardinals are trying to add yet another catcher in A.J. Pierzynski, which would mean George Kottaras could be on his way out.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
The struggling Daisuke Matsuzaka will have his elbow examined, which will let the Mets know how to proceed.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins needed 1,100 plate appearances total between 2013-14 in order for his $11 million option for 2015 to become guaranteed. He hit PA #1,100 during tonight’s game against the Diamondbacks.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Yasiel Puig and Hanley Ramirez are back. Making things even more interesting, Puig will play center field.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Jesus Montero gets the boot back to Triple-A to make room for the recently-acquired Kendrys Morales.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
Dan Uggla is back in the big leagues! What could go wrong?
Jul 25, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT
Career minor leaguer Jake Smolinski got a chance in Texas because of the Rangers’ never-ending injuries and took advantage by hitting .389 in 11 games, but now he’s headed to their crowded disabled list with a bone bruise in his foot.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
No word on whether the Dodgers are one of them.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
Presumably enough time has passed for some of the animosity to fade, but Ortiz’s at-bats will definitely be worth watching tonight.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
Acquired from the Rockies yesterday for cash considerations, left-hander Chris Capuano will join the Yankees’ rotation and make his debut Saturday versus the Blue Jays.
Jul 25, 2014, 3:14 PM EDT
Tonight makes sense. Yesterday’s benching still makes none.
Jul 25, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
McGuire was the 11th overall pick in 2010 and his pro career got off to a good start, but he’s struggled against more experience competition and has an ERA above 5.00 between Double-A and Triple-A.
Jul 25, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Issues caused by pre-existing injuries could lead to more disagreements, such as the one between Brady Aiken and the Astros that was played out on a public stage.
Jul 25, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
At age 41 he’s at risk to break down, but Colon has a 2.98 ERA in his last 12 starts with a 62/14 K/BB ratio and .217 opponents’ batting average in 85 innings.
Jul 25, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Greg Maddux was a magician on the mound, and now he’s going to the Hall of Fame, writes Joe Posnanski.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)