Jul 31, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
The non-waiver trade deadline hit at 4PM EDT today. It was pretty uneventful compared to years past, with lots of chatter but very few deals. Here’s what we had go down today before the non-waiver trade deadline:
- The Dodgers acquired Drew Butera from the Twins for a player to be named;
- The Orioles receive Bud Norris in exchange for outfielder L.J. Hoes and pitcher Josh Hader;
- The Royals acquired outfielder Justin Maxwell from the Astros in exchange for right-hander Kyle Smith;
- The Padres acquired starter Ian Kennedy from the Diamondbacks in exchange for reliever Joe Thatcher, right-hander Matt Stiles and the Padres’ post-second round competitive balance pick in the 2014 draft.
Before today, we had the following in the two weeks leading up to the deadline:
- Jake Peavy going from the White Sox to the Red Sox, Jose Iglesias going from the Red Sox to the Tigers and Avisail Garcia going from the Tigers to the White Sox;
- The Cardinals trading Marc Rzepczynski to the Indians for minor league infielder Juan Herrera;
- The Angels traded infielder Alberto Callaspo from the Angels for second base prospect Grant Green;
- The Astros traded Jose Veras to Detroit for outfield prospect Danry Vasquez and a player to be named later;
- The Braves acquired reliever Scott Downs from the Angels for Cory Rasmus;
- The Rays acquired reliever Jesse Crain from the White Sox for future considerations;
- Alfonso Soriano traded from the Cubs to the Yankees for pitching prospect Corey Black;
- The Brewers sent reliever Francisco “K-Rod” Rodriguez to the Orioles for infielder Nick Delmonico;
- The Cubs sent Matt Garza to the Rangers for Triple-A third base prospect Mike Olt, Single-A pitching prospect C.J. Edwards, MLB right-hander Justin Grimm, and a player to be named later;
Not the most active deadline in recent memory. There are reasons for this. The second wild card and greater overall parity in baseball puts more teams in the mindset of contenders, leading to a profound lack of teams selling off parts wholesale. The Cubs did it. The Astros. That’s pretty much it.
Also limiting trades: the lack of teams unloading players who are poised for free agency in cost-savings moves. Teams are locking up their talent earlier and earlier these days, meaning fewer cost-avoidance deals. Teams also have more money thanks to escalating TV contracts. All of this makes for a much less liquid trading market than we’re used to seeing.
That doesn’t mean the deals are done, of course. Between now and the end of August teams can still complete trades of players who have cleared waivers. Trades of any kind which are completed before August 31 will allow the player in question to appear on a team’s postseason roster.
No matter how the trades come, however, keep a tab open with HBT at all times, as we’ll give you everything you need to know of the comings and goings of players along with our usual wall-to-wall baseball coverage.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Greg Morhardt served as a national cross-checker for the Angels and “pegged Trout as a future star while most teams shied away.”
Sep 16, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Five days after a fastball to the face sent him to the hospital with multiple facial fractures and dental damage Marlins slugger Giancarlo Stanton posted a before-and-after picture to show how much he’s improved.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
But will they make some noise in October?
Sep 16, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
And a pretty great home run call by always underrated Cubs announcer Len Kasper (as long as you’re not a Reds fan).
Sep 16, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran won last year. Who gets it this year?
Sep 16, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Levine has been the Rangers’ assistant GM since October of 2005, serving as general manager Jon Daniels’ right-hand man during the most successful period in team history.
Sep 16, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
The Angels starter pitched well last night, but felt some discomfort at the end of his stint.
Sep 16, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
He has some time on his hands. At least he’s putting it to good use.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
Man, Waffle House. You really missed the boat here. And now we all have to suffer with this boring, corporate name.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
One of the few dudes who has been hitting for the Yankees is now on the shelf for the year.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
Big Papi took some time yesterday to remind his detractors that, yes, he did deserve that contract extension.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Less than two weeks of this left, you guys.
Must-click Link: the challenges Major League Baseball faces in implementing a domestic violence policy
Sep 16, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal shows us that the task, however necessary, will not be easy.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
To baseball and baseball writers, A-Rod is still Whitey Bulger or Public Enemy Number One. To the cops, he’s just a kid who bought a bag of something.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
MLB acts swiftly when someone grabs their crotch. Let’s see how swiftly it acts when a guy goes headhunting.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
With this gesture, Jonathan Papelbon made triggering his 2016 option a tad tricker.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
I have to imagine that spending seven-plus months in close quarters with Yasiel Puig can get on one’s nerves.
Sep 16, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
MLB’s best team continues to cruise through September.
Sep 16, 2014, 12:09 AM EDT
Pinch-runners Jarrod Dyson and Terrance Gore proved to be the difference in a thrilling win for Kansas City.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)