Heyman: Nothing cooking with Giants on Hunter Pence, Tim Lincecum

Jul 31, 2013, 2:22 PM EDT

Hunter Pence AP

If the Giants make a trade before Wednesday’s 4:00 p.m. EDT deadline, it’s probably going to include lefty specialist Javier Lopez. According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, they’re not actively involved in any discussions regarding free agents-to-be Hunter Pence and Tim Lincecum.

The Giants put a high price tag on Pence because they hope to re-sign him this winter. The 30-year-old right fielder is batting .277/.320/.455 with 14 homers and 51 RBI in 415 at-bats this year. If he were traded, it would have been the third straight year he was involved in a deadline deal; he was sent from Houston to Philadelphia in 2011 and from Philadelphia to San Francisco a year ago.

Unlike Pence, Lincecum has a good chance of clearing waivers, opening up the possibility for an August trade.

Lopez is being talked about as a possibility for Detroit or Cleveland. He’s perhaps the game’s best pure lefty specialist; left-handers have posted OPSs of .383, .500 and .422 against him the last three years. He also holds his own against righties, but the Giants have always been able to shy away from using him against them in key situations.

///

2:45 p.m. EDT update: The New York Post’s Joel Sherman is reporting that the Reds are also in on Lopez.

1. temporarilyexiled - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:01 PM

As a Giants fan, it’s beyond disturbing that this team has gone from the one that had me asking myself last year how they ranked versus other contenders…to this year…where I’m asking myself how they rank in the running for the worst-team-in-baseball booby prize.

Sure looks like a couple of fluky World Series wins, as they’ve haven’t looked good on paper in a long time. That said, I’m glad they won a couple and weren’t the opposite, as in one of those teams that looks great on paper, but can’t close the deal.

Brian Sabean seems to have an aversion to being a seller. And that’s a big problem, because the farm system has no one good at any position including pitcher in any of the high minor leagues. Next year could work out great. But if it’s more of what we’ve seen lately, hello cellar dwellers.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM

“Sure looks like a couple of fluky World Series wins”

As an Angels fan, I’d prefer a couple of fluky actual World Series wins in October as opposed to back to back offseason World Series wins in December.

• temporarilyexiled - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:52 PM

But you’ll always have 2002…and I won’t.

And after this year, if the Giants win December, at least it’ll be a step in the right direction.

Right now, all I can focus on is Wheeler/Beltran…

• asimonetti88 - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Wheeler alone wouldn’t have the Giants in an opposite position from where they are now. Sabean has made plenty of great moves that put the team in position to make the runs they did in 2010 and 2012.

• temporarilyexiled - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:03 PM

True. But this is the one deal that’s particularly painful right now. Either one of them on the team would make a big difference.

If Matt Cain doesn’t return to form, it’s not Brian Sabean’s fault, but it would put the Giants yet again into Lincecum-Zito-albatross-contract territory.

Other than Bumgarner and Posey, who on this team has had a noteworthy year?

• redandgoldeverything - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM

You definitely don’t sound like a giant fan through and through. Fluky? First giant I’ve ever heard claim that. Even baseball itself , save for dodger “fans”, know those two titles were most impressive. Have you forgotten 2011? Same bs as this year except we bought at the deadline, which is the wheeler Beltran you speak of. If you recall we actually made use of that offseason and came back with a title in ’12. Just thought I’d refresh you, because we’re not dodger fans. Win or lose this is our team, same as it’s been from candlestick thru 3com til now.

Sabean might not appeal to people at times, but I wouldn’t question him. Our system might not be big on names but were not depleted. They know how and when to use the right guys, kickham
      And surkamp can’t be the source of your reasoning as though they might have potential or not, they were thrust in on need. We shall see what the future holds but I have no problem
      With the team staying as is and using the offseason to recharge,
      And repeat our last cycle (title-break-title-break..2014???) go giants

• temporarilyexiled - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:19 PM

You’ll win some sort of bet if it ends up being title-break-title-break-title.

2. xmatt0926x - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Take a look at all the teams and when they last won a title. With all that needs to go just right throughout the season for even the best teams to win a title, you may not see another World Series champ in San Fran for many years to come. That’s not a knock on that franchise. It’s just reality for everyone.

Sabean probably gets a free pass for a good while at this point. Those 2 rings are going to look good for a long time.

3. Del Pittman - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Would’ve lost the farm and my shirt betting that Pence would be traded to the Rangers.

4. temporarilyexiled - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Full disclosure: I’m a front-runner. I’ll defend the team to the hilt when it doesn’t get the respect it deserves, but I’ll also bash it to hell when that’s what it deserves. Never understood the rah-rah fans. To me, rooting for a team means being honest, not somehow having to prove myself by singing its praises when it sucks. I did that stuff when I was young, and paid more than my share of dues, enduring long bus rides, freezing temperatures, and an ugly stadium in a run-down part of SF for more years than I’d like to admit. Many decades and a full coast removed, I’m more pragmatic.

Three legends off to Cooperstown