Jul 31, 2013, 2:22 PM EDT
If the Giants make a trade before Wednesday’s 4:00 p.m. EDT deadline, it’s probably going to include lefty specialist Javier Lopez. According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, they’re not actively involved in any discussions regarding free agents-to-be Hunter Pence and Tim Lincecum.
The Giants put a high price tag on Pence because they hope to re-sign him this winter. The 30-year-old right fielder is batting .277/.320/.455 with 14 homers and 51 RBI in 415 at-bats this year. If he were traded, it would have been the third straight year he was involved in a deadline deal; he was sent from Houston to Philadelphia in 2011 and from Philadelphia to San Francisco a year ago.
Unlike Pence, Lincecum has a good chance of clearing waivers, opening up the possibility for an August trade.
Lopez is being talked about as a possibility for Detroit or Cleveland. He’s perhaps the game’s best pure lefty specialist; left-handers have posted OPSs of .383, .500 and .422 against him the last three years. He also holds his own against righties, but the Giants have always been able to shy away from using him against them in key situations.
2:45 p.m. EDT update: The New York Post’s Joel Sherman is reporting that the Reds are also in on Lopez.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)