Jul 31, 2013, 2:22 PM EST
If the Giants make a trade before Wednesday’s 4:00 p.m. EDT deadline, it’s probably going to include lefty specialist Javier Lopez. According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, they’re not actively involved in any discussions regarding free agents-to-be Hunter Pence and Tim Lincecum.
The Giants put a high price tag on Pence because they hope to re-sign him this winter. The 30-year-old right fielder is batting .277/.320/.455 with 14 homers and 51 RBI in 415 at-bats this year. If he were traded, it would have been the third straight year he was involved in a deadline deal; he was sent from Houston to Philadelphia in 2011 and from Philadelphia to San Francisco a year ago.
Unlike Pence, Lincecum has a good chance of clearing waivers, opening up the possibility for an August trade.
Lopez is being talked about as a possibility for Detroit or Cleveland. He’s perhaps the game’s best pure lefty specialist; left-handers have posted OPSs of .383, .500 and .422 against him the last three years. He also holds his own against righties, but the Giants have always been able to shy away from using him against them in key situations.
2:45 p.m. EDT update: The New York Post’s Joel Sherman is reporting that the Reds are also in on Lopez.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)