Jul 31, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
2:09 p.m. EDT: The Padres are getting Kennedy in return for Thatcher, right-hander Matt Stiles and their post-second round competitive balance pick in the 2014 draft, according to MLB.com’s Corey Brock.
1:42 p.m. EDT update: Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan chimes in that Thatcher would be “one of the players going to Arizona” in a Kennedy deal.
1: 30 p.m. EDT: The chances of an Ian Kennedy trade may have taken a hit after Jake Peavy went to Boston, not Arizona, last night, but he’s still getting talked about with a couple of hours left to go before the deadline. CBSSports.com’s Scott Miller says he might be sent to San Diego for relief help in the form of right-hander Luke Gregerson or left-hander Joe Thatcher.
With Brandon McCarthy (shoulder) and Trevor Cahill (hip, shoulder) on the way back from the DL, the Diamondbacks don’t necessarily need to get a starter in order to trade Kennedy. They’d still have Patrick Corbin, Wade Miley, McCarthy, Cahill and Randall Delgado, with Tyler Skaggs and Archie Bradley waiting in the wings.
Kennedy would be as good of a fit in Petco Park as he would be anywhere, and the Padres could use a veteran for their 2014 rotation with both Edinson Volquez and Clayton Richard potentially on the way out. Kennedy is under control through 2015 and should make about $6 million in arbitration next year. The 28-year-old is 3-8 with a 5.23 ERA this season.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69