Jul 31, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
2:09 p.m. EDT: The Padres are getting Kennedy in return for Thatcher, right-hander Matt Stiles and their post-second round competitive balance pick in the 2014 draft, according to MLB.com’s Corey Brock.
1:42 p.m. EDT update: Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan chimes in that Thatcher would be “one of the players going to Arizona” in a Kennedy deal.
1: 30 p.m. EDT: The chances of an Ian Kennedy trade may have taken a hit after Jake Peavy went to Boston, not Arizona, last night, but he’s still getting talked about with a couple of hours left to go before the deadline. CBSSports.com’s Scott Miller says he might be sent to San Diego for relief help in the form of right-hander Luke Gregerson or left-hander Joe Thatcher.
With Brandon McCarthy (shoulder) and Trevor Cahill (hip, shoulder) on the way back from the DL, the Diamondbacks don’t necessarily need to get a starter in order to trade Kennedy. They’d still have Patrick Corbin, Wade Miley, McCarthy, Cahill and Randall Delgado, with Tyler Skaggs and Archie Bradley waiting in the wings.
Kennedy would be as good of a fit in Petco Park as he would be anywhere, and the Padres could use a veteran for their 2014 rotation with both Edinson Volquez and Clayton Richard potentially on the way out. Kennedy is under control through 2015 and should make about $6 million in arbitration next year. The 28-year-old is 3-8 with a 5.23 ERA this season.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)