Jul 31, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
2:09 p.m. EDT: The Padres are getting Kennedy in return for Thatcher, right-hander Matt Stiles and their post-second round competitive balance pick in the 2014 draft, according to MLB.com’s Corey Brock.
1:42 p.m. EDT update: Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan chimes in that Thatcher would be “one of the players going to Arizona” in a Kennedy deal.
1: 30 p.m. EDT: The chances of an Ian Kennedy trade may have taken a hit after Jake Peavy went to Boston, not Arizona, last night, but he’s still getting talked about with a couple of hours left to go before the deadline. CBSSports.com’s Scott Miller says he might be sent to San Diego for relief help in the form of right-hander Luke Gregerson or left-hander Joe Thatcher.
With Brandon McCarthy (shoulder) and Trevor Cahill (hip, shoulder) on the way back from the DL, the Diamondbacks don’t necessarily need to get a starter in order to trade Kennedy. They’d still have Patrick Corbin, Wade Miley, McCarthy, Cahill and Randall Delgado, with Tyler Skaggs and Archie Bradley waiting in the wings.
Kennedy would be as good of a fit in Petco Park as he would be anywhere, and the Padres could use a veteran for their 2014 rotation with both Edinson Volquez and Clayton Richard potentially on the way out. Kennedy is under control through 2015 and should make about $6 million in arbitration next year. The 28-year-old is 3-8 with a 5.23 ERA this season.
- Jose Iglesias, with an extended aside about cheeseburger and burrito stats 3
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 4
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 29
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86