Jul 31, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
2:09 p.m. EDT: The Padres are getting Kennedy in return for Thatcher, right-hander Matt Stiles and their post-second round competitive balance pick in the 2014 draft, according to MLB.com’s Corey Brock.
1:42 p.m. EDT update: Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan chimes in that Thatcher would be “one of the players going to Arizona” in a Kennedy deal.
1: 30 p.m. EDT: The chances of an Ian Kennedy trade may have taken a hit after Jake Peavy went to Boston, not Arizona, last night, but he’s still getting talked about with a couple of hours left to go before the deadline. CBSSports.com’s Scott Miller says he might be sent to San Diego for relief help in the form of right-hander Luke Gregerson or left-hander Joe Thatcher.
With Brandon McCarthy (shoulder) and Trevor Cahill (hip, shoulder) on the way back from the DL, the Diamondbacks don’t necessarily need to get a starter in order to trade Kennedy. They’d still have Patrick Corbin, Wade Miley, McCarthy, Cahill and Randall Delgado, with Tyler Skaggs and Archie Bradley waiting in the wings.
Kennedy would be as good of a fit in Petco Park as he would be anywhere, and the Padres could use a veteran for their 2014 rotation with both Edinson Volquez and Clayton Richard potentially on the way out. Kennedy is under control through 2015 and should make about $6 million in arbitration next year. The 28-year-old is 3-8 with a 5.23 ERA this season.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 14
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 17
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8