Jul 31, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
2:09 p.m. EDT: The Padres are getting Kennedy in return for Thatcher, right-hander Matt Stiles and their post-second round competitive balance pick in the 2014 draft, according to MLB.com’s Corey Brock.
1:42 p.m. EDT update: Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan chimes in that Thatcher would be “one of the players going to Arizona” in a Kennedy deal.
1: 30 p.m. EDT: The chances of an Ian Kennedy trade may have taken a hit after Jake Peavy went to Boston, not Arizona, last night, but he’s still getting talked about with a couple of hours left to go before the deadline. CBSSports.com’s Scott Miller says he might be sent to San Diego for relief help in the form of right-hander Luke Gregerson or left-hander Joe Thatcher.
With Brandon McCarthy (shoulder) and Trevor Cahill (hip, shoulder) on the way back from the DL, the Diamondbacks don’t necessarily need to get a starter in order to trade Kennedy. They’d still have Patrick Corbin, Wade Miley, McCarthy, Cahill and Randall Delgado, with Tyler Skaggs and Archie Bradley waiting in the wings.
Kennedy would be as good of a fit in Petco Park as he would be anywhere, and the Padres could use a veteran for their 2014 rotation with both Edinson Volquez and Clayton Richard potentially on the way out. Kennedy is under control through 2015 and should make about $6 million in arbitration next year. The 28-year-old is 3-8 with a 5.23 ERA this season.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)