Jul 31, 2013, 12:14 AM EST
Lance Berkman hasn’t played since July 6 due to hip inflammation and he recently began experiencing discomfort in his surgically-repaired right knee. It might be over for the decorated 37-year-old.
Berkman, who finished with MVP votes in seven different seasons and won a World Series in 2011 with the Cardinals, admitted to Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest on Tuesday that his playing career might be finished. “You’ve got to fish or cut bait and I think we’re getting to that point rather quickly,” said the six-time All-Star. “It’s not a good place to be in personally. It’s not a good place to be in for the team. I’ve got to try and figure some things out and move forward.”
Berkman was batting .254/.355/.377 with six home runs and 34 RBI in 68 games this year for the Rangers.
He broke into the major leagues in 1999 with the Astros and boasts a .945 career OPS in 15 total seasons.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 300
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (302)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)