Lance Berkman admits he might be done

Jul 31, 2013, 12:14 AM EDT

berkman getty Getty Images

Lance Berkman hasn’t played since July 6 due to hip inflammation and he recently began experiencing discomfort in his surgically-repaired right knee. It might be over for the decorated 37-year-old.

Berkman, who finished with MVP votes in seven different seasons and won a World Series in 2011 with the Cardinals, admitted to Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest on Tuesday that his playing career might be finished. “You’ve got to fish or cut bait and I think we’re getting to that point rather quickly,” said the six-time All-Star. “It’s not a good place to be in personally. It’s not a good place to be in for the team. I’ve got to try and figure some things out and move forward.”

Berkman was batting .254/.355/.377 with six home runs and 34 RBI in 68 games this year for the Rangers.

He broke into the major leagues in 1999 with the Astros and boasts a .945 career OPS in 15 total seasons.

1. Old Gator - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Berkman has had a fine, fine career and can leave with his head held high. If this is the end, I wish him all the best. He has earned it.

• bendover09 - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:08 AM

As a Ranger fan, Berkman was robbed of the 2011 MVP. E

• bendover09 - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:08 AM

As a Ranger fan, Berkman was robbed of the 2011 MVP.

• yankee172 - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Matt Kemp would like a word with you

• bbk1000 - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:22 AM

High praise indeed….I’m sure when Berkman’s head hit the pillow last evening he lay a little more comfortable thinking “Old Gator approves of my career, I can rest easy”…..

• Old Gator - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:44 AM

And if he knew you thought it didn’t matter, I’m equally sure he wouldn’t care less.

• stex52 - Jul 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Sorry he couldn’t hang in with a couple of more healthy years and had a shot at the HOF. But a good guy and a great player in his time.

• dickclydesdale - Aug 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Goodbye Fat Elvis! Now go retire and get fatter.

2. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Don’t let the door hit ya on the way out lance, should have retired years ago

• nbjays - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:01 AM

You stay classy, DirtyHater1971…

• Old Gator - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Right. Harry classy. And magnets pick up wood chips too.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 31, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Of course I will stay classy, after all I couldn’t be any other way…

• Old Gator - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Given your normative lack of versatility I would tend to agree with you. In this case, though, I suspect you thought nbjays was talking about a different Harry.

3. pisano - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Gee ya think? the guys a genius. I hear you harry, I’ll never forget the way he took a dump in NY a few years ago.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:17 AM

That’s right, he showed up out of shape that year. What I always wondered was did he wear a mask on the way to picking up his paycheck? Cause he sure as hell was stealing that year. But then again I now wonder does Josh “1 win” Johnson wear a mask on payday this season? He should be and he should hand masks to the rest of the rotation too

• Old Gator - Jul 31, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Harry speaks the truth. He has forgotten everything he ever knew about baseball.

• stex52 - Jul 31, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Injured knee, Harry. I thought you knew baseball.

• nbjays - Jul 31, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Harry isn’t a knowledgeable baseball fan, he just plays one on HBT.

4. brewcrewfan54 - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Come on Lance, PED’s brah! Extend that career! Breakin necks and cashin’ checks!

• Old Gator - Jul 31, 2013 at 7:37 AM

You’d turn down those checks? Come on. Big tits and loose morals cost money.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3457)