Jul 31, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
Promising news here for the second-place Cardinals.
According to MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, an MRI taken Wednesday on the sore right knee of catcher Yadier Molina showed inflammation but no structural damage. Cards manager Mike Matheny said the team is “optimistic” that Molina will only require a minimal stay on the 15-day disabled list.
The Cardinals spoke to the Cubs about Dioner Navarro just before Wednesday’s 4 p.m. ET trade deadline and probably looked into some other fill-in options as well, but no deal was consummated.
The Cardinals entered play Wednesday trailing the Pirates by 1 1/2 games in the National League Central.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 45
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 97
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 125
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (109)