Jul 31, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Promising news here for the second-place Cardinals.
According to MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, an MRI taken Wednesday on the sore right knee of catcher Yadier Molina showed inflammation but no structural damage. Cards manager Mike Matheny said the team is “optimistic” that Molina will only require a minimal stay on the 15-day disabled list.
The Cardinals spoke to the Cubs about Dioner Navarro just before Wednesday’s 4 p.m. ET trade deadline and probably looked into some other fill-in options as well, but no deal was consummated.
The Cardinals entered play Wednesday trailing the Pirates by 1 1/2 games in the National League Central.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 35
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)