Jul 31, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
Promising news here for the second-place Cardinals.
According to MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch, an MRI taken Wednesday on the sore right knee of catcher Yadier Molina showed inflammation but no structural damage. Cards manager Mike Matheny said the team is “optimistic” that Molina will only require a minimal stay on the 15-day disabled list.
The Cardinals spoke to the Cubs about Dioner Navarro just before Wednesday’s 4 p.m. ET trade deadline and probably looked into some other fill-in options as well, but no deal was consummated.
The Cardinals entered play Wednesday trailing the Pirates by 1 1/2 games in the National League Central.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 26
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)