Jul 31, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Utley had been talked about in trade rumors for quite a while, but the Phillies have apparently decided that it’s worth going forward — and maybe rebuilding or restructuring — around Utley.
Which isn’t the worst idea. No, he’s not the player he used to be and yes he will always have durability concerns. But at the moment he, along with Domonic Brown, is one of the few actual offensive threats Charlie Manuel has. Utley is having his best season in years, hitting .277/.341/.498 and is playing solid defense.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)