Jul 31, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
Utley had been talked about in trade rumors for quite a while, but the Phillies have apparently decided that it’s worth going forward — and maybe rebuilding or restructuring — around Utley.
Which isn’t the worst idea. No, he’s not the player he used to be and yes he will always have durability concerns. But at the moment he, along with Domonic Brown, is one of the few actual offensive threats Charlie Manuel has. Utley is having his best season in years, hitting .277/.341/.498 and is playing solid defense.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)