Jul 31, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Utley had been talked about in trade rumors for quite a while, but the Phillies have apparently decided that it’s worth going forward — and maybe rebuilding or restructuring — around Utley.
Which isn’t the worst idea. No, he’s not the player he used to be and yes he will always have durability concerns. But at the moment he, along with Domonic Brown, is one of the few actual offensive threats Charlie Manuel has. Utley is having his best season in years, hitting .277/.341/.498 and is playing solid defense.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 38
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 40
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)