Jul 31, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
It sure sounds like Justin Morneau is more likely to be dealt in August than before Wednesday’s deadline.
According to John Perotto of the Beaver County Times, the Pirates have “next-to-zero” interest in Morneau as they weigh an upgrade at first base or in right field. Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun is among those reporting that the Orioles aren’t having any conversations regarding Morneau. They may be focused more on a cheaper option in Seattle’s Michael Morse.
It’s entirely possible that Morneau won’t be dealt at all. The Twins have little to gain for keeping him the rest of the season, but they may want him back, albeit at a significant paycut, for 2014.
- Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 5
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 11
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 54
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)