Jul 31, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
It sure sounds like Justin Morneau is more likely to be dealt in August than before Wednesday’s deadline.
According to John Perotto of the Beaver County Times, the Pirates have “next-to-zero” interest in Morneau as they weigh an upgrade at first base or in right field. Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun is among those reporting that the Orioles aren’t having any conversations regarding Morneau. They may be focused more on a cheaper option in Seattle’s Michael Morse.
It’s entirely possible that Morneau won’t be dealt at all. The Twins have little to gain for keeping him the rest of the season, but they may want him back, albeit at a significant paycut, for 2014.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 3
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 81
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 59
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 65
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (87)