Jul 31, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
As Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown first reported, the Dodgers have acquired catcher Drew Butera from the Twins for a player to be named or cash.
Butera, 30, has 490 major league at-bats under his belt and has hit .182/.230/.263 with five homers and 41 RBI. He is a very good defensive catcher, but his bat is so anemic that the Twins could no longer live with him as Joe Mauer‘s backup. He’ll be the third catcher on the Dodgers’ depth chart and insurance in case either A.J. Ellis or Tim Federowicz gets hurt.
- Major League Baseball to investigate Randy Levine for tampering as a result of Mike Trout comment 5
- Robinson Cano, Yankees trade barbs about “disrespect” 83
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 17
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 60
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 6
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)