Jul 31, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
As Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown first reported, the Dodgers have acquired catcher Drew Butera from the Twins for a player to be named or cash.
Butera, 30, has 490 major league at-bats under his belt and has hit .182/.230/.263 with five homers and 41 RBI. He is a very good defensive catcher, but his bat is so anemic that the Twins could no longer live with him as Joe Mauer‘s backup. He’ll be the third catcher on the Dodgers’ depth chart and insurance in case either A.J. Ellis or Tim Federowicz gets hurt.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 6
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)