Jul 31, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
As Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown first reported, the Dodgers have acquired catcher Drew Butera from the Twins for a player to be named or cash.
Butera, 30, has 490 major league at-bats under his belt and has hit .182/.230/.263 with five homers and 41 RBI. He is a very good defensive catcher, but his bat is so anemic that the Twins could no longer live with him as Joe Mauer‘s backup. He’ll be the third catcher on the Dodgers’ depth chart and insurance in case either A.J. Ellis or Tim Federowicz gets hurt.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (172)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)