Jul 31, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
The word Tuesday was that everyone in the Biogenesis scandal not named Alex Rodriguez was ready to accept their fate and serve 50-game suspensions. Nelson Cruz, though, may not have gotten that memo. The New York Post’s Joel Sherman and USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale are reporting that Cruz may appeal his suspension in order to remain the Texas lineup through the end of the season.
Obviously, that’d be great news for the Rangers. Cruz is an overrated player with his subpar defense in right field and modest OBPs, but the Rangers still need his bat in the middle of the lineup. He’s in the midst of his best season since 2010, hitting .271/.334/.501 with 24 homers and 72 RBI in 103 games.
It’s possible that Cruz is being influenced by the Rangers in his decision. Expectations were that he wouldn’t be re-signed as a free agent this winter, suspension or no suspension, but the Rangers could have assured that he’d presented with an offer f he finished out this season on the roster. That’d be very important since, with a suspension of at least 50 games and possibly more like 65 hanging over his head, there’d seem to be little demand for his services in free agency. He’d most likely have to take a one-year contract in an attempt to rebuild his value.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 41
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 23
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 34
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 78
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 7
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 87
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)