Jul 31, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
The word Tuesday was that everyone in the Biogenesis scandal not named Alex Rodriguez was ready to accept their fate and serve 50-game suspensions. Nelson Cruz, though, may not have gotten that memo. The New York Post’s Joel Sherman and USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale are reporting that Cruz may appeal his suspension in order to remain the Texas lineup through the end of the season.
Obviously, that’d be great news for the Rangers. Cruz is an overrated player with his subpar defense in right field and modest OBPs, but the Rangers still need his bat in the middle of the lineup. He’s in the midst of his best season since 2010, hitting .271/.334/.501 with 24 homers and 72 RBI in 103 games.
It’s possible that Cruz is being influenced by the Rangers in his decision. Expectations were that he wouldn’t be re-signed as a free agent this winter, suspension or no suspension, but the Rangers could have assured that he’d presented with an offer f he finished out this season on the roster. That’d be very important since, with a suspension of at least 50 games and possibly more like 65 hanging over his head, there’d seem to be little demand for his services in free agency. He’d most likely have to take a one-year contract in an attempt to rebuild his value.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 8
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 36
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)