Jul 31, 2013, 2:05 PM EST
The word Tuesday was that everyone in the Biogenesis scandal not named Alex Rodriguez was ready to accept their fate and serve 50-game suspensions. Nelson Cruz, though, may not have gotten that memo. The New York Post’s Joel Sherman and USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale are reporting that Cruz may appeal his suspension in order to remain the Texas lineup through the end of the season.
Obviously, that’d be great news for the Rangers. Cruz is an overrated player with his subpar defense in right field and modest OBPs, but the Rangers still need his bat in the middle of the lineup. He’s in the midst of his best season since 2010, hitting .271/.334/.501 with 24 homers and 72 RBI in 103 games.
It’s possible that Cruz is being influenced by the Rangers in his decision. Expectations were that he wouldn’t be re-signed as a free agent this winter, suspension or no suspension, but the Rangers could have assured that he’d presented with an offer f he finished out this season on the roster. That’d be very important since, with a suspension of at least 50 games and possibly more like 65 hanging over his head, there’d seem to be little demand for his services in free agency. He’d most likely have to take a one-year contract in an attempt to rebuild his value.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 255
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (279)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)