Jul 31, 2013, 3:16 PM EST
The Pirates made a play for an unexpected name prior to Wednesday’s trade deadline. According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, they tried to land Mark Trumbo from the Angels.
Trumbo, an All-Star last year, has hit .249/.313/.473 with 23 homers and 63 RBI in 406 at-bats this season. PNC Park is a tough place for right-handed power hitters, but Angel Stadium is no piece of cake there, either, and Trumbo can hit them out of anywhere when he gets a hold of one.
Alas, it doesn’t appear that this proposal has any legs. Trumbo is under control through 2016, and he shouldn’t make much more than $4 million or so in arbitration next year. The Angels are viewing him as a building block.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)