Jul 31, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
The Pirates made a play for an unexpected name prior to Wednesday’s trade deadline. According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, they tried to land Mark Trumbo from the Angels.
Trumbo, an All-Star last year, has hit .249/.313/.473 with 23 homers and 63 RBI in 406 at-bats this season. PNC Park is a tough place for right-handed power hitters, but Angel Stadium is no piece of cake there, either, and Trumbo can hit them out of anywhere when he gets a hold of one.
Alas, it doesn’t appear that this proposal has any legs. Trumbo is under control through 2016, and he shouldn’t make much more than $4 million or so in arbitration next year. The Angels are viewing him as a building block.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)