Jul 31, 2013, 3:16 PM EST
The Pirates made a play for an unexpected name prior to Wednesday’s trade deadline. According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, they tried to land Mark Trumbo from the Angels.
Trumbo, an All-Star last year, has hit .249/.313/.473 with 23 homers and 63 RBI in 406 at-bats this season. PNC Park is a tough place for right-handed power hitters, but Angel Stadium is no piece of cake there, either, and Trumbo can hit them out of anywhere when he gets a hold of one.
Alas, it doesn’t appear that this proposal has any legs. Trumbo is under control through 2016, and he shouldn’t make much more than $4 million or so in arbitration next year. The Angels are viewing him as a building block.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)