Jul 31, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
The Pirates made a play for an unexpected name prior to Wednesday’s trade deadline. According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, they tried to land Mark Trumbo from the Angels.
Trumbo, an All-Star last year, has hit .249/.313/.473 with 23 homers and 63 RBI in 406 at-bats this season. PNC Park is a tough place for right-handed power hitters, but Angel Stadium is no piece of cake there, either, and Trumbo can hit them out of anywhere when he gets a hold of one.
Alas, it doesn’t appear that this proposal has any legs. Trumbo is under control through 2016, and he shouldn’t make much more than $4 million or so in arbitration next year. The Angels are viewing him as a building block.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)