Jul 31, 2013, 8:51 PM EDT
The Marlins made it clear to everyone that they weren’t interested in trading their star right fielder, but according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Reviews’s Rob Biertempfel, the Pirates made an offer for Giancarlo Stanton that “caught the attention of the Marlins’ front office” before being rebuffed.
With either Gerrit Cole or Jameson Taillon to headline a deal, the Pirates had the ability to put together a pretty enticing package. Other players they could have used include shortstop Alen Hanson, right-hander Luis Heredia and outfielders Gregory Polanco and Josh Bell. It’d probably take four top prospects just to get a foot in the door with the Marlins, and when the team does make Stanton available, it’s a safe bet that at least a half dozen teams will chime with serious offers.
The Pirates, though, came up empty on all of their inquiries before Wednesday’s deadline. They also had varying levels of interest in Alex Rios and Nate Schierholtz for right field, and they made a run at the Angels’ Mark Trumbo.
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 26
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 110
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)