Jul 31, 2013, 8:51 PM EST
The Marlins made it clear to everyone that they weren’t interested in trading their star right fielder, but according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Reviews’s Rob Biertempfel, the Pirates made an offer for Giancarlo Stanton that “caught the attention of the Marlins’ front office” before being rebuffed.
With either Gerrit Cole or Jameson Taillon to headline a deal, the Pirates had the ability to put together a pretty enticing package. Other players they could have used include shortstop Alen Hanson, right-hander Luis Heredia and outfielders Gregory Polanco and Josh Bell. It’d probably take four top prospects just to get a foot in the door with the Marlins, and when the team does make Stanton available, it’s a safe bet that at least a half dozen teams will chime with serious offers.
The Pirates, though, came up empty on all of their inquiries before Wednesday’s deadline. They also had varying levels of interest in Alex Rios and Nate Schierholtz for right field, and they made a run at the Angels’ Mark Trumbo.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)