Jul 31, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT
USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale reports that the Yankees have gotten two offers for Phil Hughes in advance of the trade deadline.
Hughes is a free agent at season’s end, and it’s unlikely that the Yankees will re-sign him, given his problems in Yankee Stadium. Hughes is 4-9 with a 4.58 ERA this season, but he has a 3.02 ERA in his nine road starts this season, compared to a 6.02 mark at home. He’s allowed 20 homers, 14 of them coming in Yankee Stadium.
Still, even though Hughes isn’t really helping the Bombers at the moment, it’d be dangerous for them to simply give him away. Their rotation fallbacks are David Phelps and Michael Pineda. Phelps had a 5.01 ERA in his 12 starts and six relief appearances before being sent down earlier this month. Pineda, coming off shoulder surgery, has yet to be extended past five innings in his minor league starts. He does have a 26/4 K/BB ratio in 21 1/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, but those 21 1/3 innings have come over the course of five starts.
3:43 p.m. EDT update: The New York Post’s Joel Sherman says the Braves have talked to the Yankees about Hughes, but that it’s unlikely anything will happen.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)