Report: Yankees getting hits on Phil Hughes

Jul 31, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT

Phil Hughes AP

USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale reports that the Yankees have gotten two offers for Phil Hughes in advance of the trade deadline.

Hughes is a free agent at season’s end, and it’s unlikely that the Yankees will re-sign him, given his problems in Yankee Stadium. Hughes is 4-9 with a 4.58 ERA this season, but he has a 3.02 ERA in his nine road starts this season, compared to a 6.02 mark at home. He’s allowed 20 homers, 14 of them coming in Yankee Stadium.

Still, even though Hughes isn’t really helping the Bombers at the moment, it’d be dangerous for them to simply give him away. Their rotation fallbacks are David Phelps and Michael Pineda. Phelps had a 5.01 ERA in his 12 starts and six relief appearances before being sent down earlier this month. Pineda, coming off shoulder surgery, has yet to be extended past five innings in his minor league starts. He does have a 26/4 K/BB ratio in 21 1/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, but those 21 1/3 innings have come over the course of five starts.

///

3:43 p.m. EDT update: The New York Post’s Joel Sherman says the Braves have talked to the Yankees about Hughes, but that it’s unlikely anything will happen.

1. Jeremy T - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:47 PM

He’s felt like a change-of-scenery candidate to me for quite a while, so hopefully he can finally find some of that top-prospect-success elsewhere.

2. eatitfanboy - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Oh, please be true. Please, please, please be true.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

3. tbutler704 - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:49 PM

“Hey Cash, we might be interested in Hughes….what do you need to get it done before the deadline?”

“Don’t worry about it. You want him, he’s on the next plane. Someday, and that day may never come, I may call upon you to do a favor for me.”

“Thank you, Godfather.”

4. ptbakery - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Offer 1 – A hot ham and cheese sandwich
    Offer 2 – An autographed picture of Dave Roberts stealing second in October

I’m sure Cash will make the right decision now that it’s past lunchtime.

• Jeremy T - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Hmm, so no matter what he decides, Cashman gets heartburn?

• mazblast - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Oohh, a hot ham and cheese sounds sooo good right now.

5. proudlycanadian - Jul 31, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I will se your Erik Bedard rumor and will up the bet with a Phil Hughes rumor! So there!

6. Francisco (FC) - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Report: Yankees getting hits on Phil Hughes

Good for Phil! He’s found value as a batting practice pitcher for the Bombers.

7. sdelmonte - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:03 PM

What about Joba?

Saw a guy wearing a “Joba Rules” T-shirt and couldn’t help but think how quickly things changed for him.

• tbutler704 - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Another great example why I confine my jersey purchases to all time greats like Eli Manning and Jumbo Elliott….

8. deathmonkey41 - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Brian Cashman asks that you kindly STFU!!!

9. eatitfanboy - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Why not? Everyone is getting hits off him. I was at the game on Sunday. That was the loudest I’ve ever heard a Yankee booed at the Stadium.

• Jeremy T - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:18 PM

worse than A-Rod in the playoffs a few years ago?

• eatitfanboy - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Oh, wait. I forgot about that. Ok, regular season booing.

10. stackers1 - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM

“Home Run Hughes” as my brother calls him.

I just hope they don’t trade him to an AL team, because I know he’ll come back & 2 hit the Yanks at a later date.

• pisano - Jul 31, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Yeah, but those two hits will be grand slams knowing Hughes pitching ability.

11. banger60 - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:42 PM

eatitfanboy, you took the words right out of my mouth.

12. turdfurgerson68 - Jul 31, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Chamberlain, Hughes, and Kennedy…all perfect examples of how the Yankees waaay overvalue their minor leaguers.

Other than Cano, everyone else is mediocre at best.

• Jeremy T - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Austin Jackson was a top Yankee prospect not that long ago, and he’s turned out pretty well

• mazblast - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:53 PM

One out of how many?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:45 PM

How’s Will Middlebrooks and his 64 OPS+ treating the Sox this year?

• turdfurgerson68 - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Still greater potential than Montero or Adam Warren, I’d proffer.

• Jeremy T - Jul 31, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Warren was never expected to be much. Montero has been a definite flop, but it’s not like it was only Yankee scouts that liked him.

• mazblast - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I was just thinking about that, how the Yankees five years ago, with the unhittable Joba, the unflappable Hughes, and oh yeah that other guy, the afterthought Kennedy, were set for years.

Kind of like the Mets’ “Generation K” (Isringhausen, Wilson, and Pulsipher) 20 years ago that was going to dominate the NL for the next decade.

13. Del Pittman - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Would love to find out which teams inquired about him…

14. mazblast - Jul 31, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I can’t see why teams would give up anything for this proven mediocrity now when they can sign him as a free agent this offseason, if they are so inclined and possibly have a death wish.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3626)