Jul 31, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT
USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale reports that the Yankees have gotten two offers for Phil Hughes in advance of the trade deadline.
Hughes is a free agent at season’s end, and it’s unlikely that the Yankees will re-sign him, given his problems in Yankee Stadium. Hughes is 4-9 with a 4.58 ERA this season, but he has a 3.02 ERA in his nine road starts this season, compared to a 6.02 mark at home. He’s allowed 20 homers, 14 of them coming in Yankee Stadium.
Still, even though Hughes isn’t really helping the Bombers at the moment, it’d be dangerous for them to simply give him away. Their rotation fallbacks are David Phelps and Michael Pineda. Phelps had a 5.01 ERA in his 12 starts and six relief appearances before being sent down earlier this month. Pineda, coming off shoulder surgery, has yet to be extended past five innings in his minor league starts. He does have a 26/4 K/BB ratio in 21 1/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, but those 21 1/3 innings have come over the course of five starts.
3:43 p.m. EDT update: The New York Post’s Joel Sherman says the Braves have talked to the Yankees about Hughes, but that it’s unlikely anything will happen.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)