Jul 31, 2013, 2:43 PM EST
USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale reports that the Yankees have gotten two offers for Phil Hughes in advance of the trade deadline.
Hughes is a free agent at season’s end, and it’s unlikely that the Yankees will re-sign him, given his problems in Yankee Stadium. Hughes is 4-9 with a 4.58 ERA this season, but he has a 3.02 ERA in his nine road starts this season, compared to a 6.02 mark at home. He’s allowed 20 homers, 14 of them coming in Yankee Stadium.
Still, even though Hughes isn’t really helping the Bombers at the moment, it’d be dangerous for them to simply give him away. Their rotation fallbacks are David Phelps and Michael Pineda. Phelps had a 5.01 ERA in his 12 starts and six relief appearances before being sent down earlier this month. Pineda, coming off shoulder surgery, has yet to be extended past five innings in his minor league starts. He does have a 26/4 K/BB ratio in 21 1/3 innings for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, but those 21 1/3 innings have come over the course of five starts.
3:43 p.m. EDT update: The New York Post’s Joel Sherman says the Braves have talked to the Yankees about Hughes, but that it’s unlikely anything will happen.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 43
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 168
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (168)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)