Roger Clemens is not helping

Jul 31, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT

clemens1

Alex Rodriguez has almost no defenders. Heck, the closest thing he has to any defenders are people like me who defend the process, but that’s pretty cold comfort.  Thank goodness, then, that Roger Clemens has his back. Kinda:

“A-Rod was my teammate in New York,” the poster boy for the Mitchell Report on baseball and steroids told The Associated Press on Tuesday. “I’m glad he was my teammate. I did things to make him feel comfortable. I did that for all of my teammates. I think I was a pretty solid teammate.”

OK, that was really an endorsement of Roger Clemens: super teammate as opposed to an endorsement of A-Rod.

Thanks? Maybe?

1. cur68 - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Alex to Roger:

“Uh…Rog…Um…could you go endorse Jeter for a while? M’kaythxbye.”

• natstowngreg - Jul 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Reger Clemens, Character Witness. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

(sarcasm button)

2. Shafer's Dealer - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:08 AM

That was really sweet of Roger to help his teammates and make them comfortable.
    As most juicers, meat-heads, douchebags, etc.. will tell you, its not easy to inject the ass when those guns…

• coloradogolfcoupons - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:28 PM

MADE HIM FEEL COMFORTABLE??? Sounds like a happy ending massage, Rog. You need to be a little less suggestive in your babble

3. koufaxmitzvah - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Sounds like Rog has a future as a Texas politician.

4. dondada10 - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I really hope Clemens knows how suggestive his statement is and only said it to purposely mess with A-Rod.

5. eshine76 - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:13 AM

“I did things to make him feel comfortable.”

Was ARod hurting and you gave him some juice from your private stash?

6. jayscarpa - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Roger Clemens is a very bad man and should be wished into the cornfield.

• lazlosother - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:21 AM

While I don’t agree with the sentiment, I had to thumbs-up the reference. And it’s good you made the reference. A real good reference.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:33 AM

What do you have against cornfields?

• IdahoMariner - Jul 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM

‘xactly. poor cornfields.

but good reference. thinking it’s gonna be a baseball movie weekend now. field of dreams, bull durham, league of their own…

7. largebill - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Of all of A-Rod’s concerns right now I think Clemens is pretty far down the list. This odd statement will neither help nor hurt A-Rod.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:22 AM

It was a rather queer statement; however, I doubt that anyone takes the views of Clemens seriously.

• dondada10 - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I can’t be the only one that thinks Clemens is referring to give A-Rod steroids, or at least a connection to roids.

8. aceshigh11 - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:21 AM

From one ‘roided-up sociopath to another…

9. sophiethegreatdane - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Craig Calcaterra is a good blogger. I’m glad he’s a good blogger, and that I read hist blog. I try to make all the blogs I read feel good about having me as a reader. I think I’m a good blog reader.

You’re welcome, Craig.

• natstowngreg - Jul 31, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I feel the need to start a blog, just so you will read it and tell me I’m a good blogger.

On second thought, forget it. The world doesn’t need more bloggers. It could use more good blog readers, though.

10. cheeks9441 - Jul 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Maybe A-Rod was actually a great teammate, but Clemens just misremembered the good times.

11. babyfarkmcgeezax - Jul 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Wow, Roger almost sounds as self-absorbed as a certain Nats fan who recently claimed everyone wonders where she is when she doesn’t post here for a while.

12. rdav29 - Jul 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM

The jokes just write themselves sometimes

13. bpearse230 - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Anyone else read that and hear it in a Kenny Powers voice?

14. jfk69 - Jul 31, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Hell with Clemons. He could be butt buddies with Selig
    How soon we forget.
    Lets take a closer look at clueless greedy Buddy Selig.
    How can you trust him after this.
    Fay Vincent on the effects of collusion:[2]
    “ The Union basically doesn’t trust the Ownership because collusion was a $280 million theft by Selig and Reinsdorf of that money from the players. I mean, they rigged the signing of free agents. They got caught. They paid $280 million to the players. And I think that’s polluted labor relations in baseball ever since it happened. I think it’s the reason Fehr has no trust in Selig.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2958)