Jul 31, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
2:06 p.m. EDT update: Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News says the Yankees have been told that Young would accept a trade to New York. He’d be a safety net for the Yankees depending on what happens with Alex Rodriguez.
12:29 p.m. EDT update: ESPNBoston.com’s Gordon Edes was told it’s “doubtful” that the Red Sox will acquire Young.
Maybe it was the Jose Iglesias trade or maybe it was something he was open to all along, but Michael Young is now willing to waive his no-trade clause to go to Boston, FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports.
It was reported yesterday that Young was only willing to go back to Texas in a trade.
The 36-year-old Young homered last night and is batting .279/.345/.411 with eight homers and 34 RBI in 365 at-bats for the Phillies this year. He represents a safe third-base option for the Red Sox, but he’s one with a below average glove, limited power and a tendency to ground into double plays. In Xander Bogaerts and Will Middlebrooks, the Red Sox have alternatives with greater upside. Still, there might be something to be said for taking the sure thing.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)