Jul 31, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
2:06 p.m. EDT update: Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News says the Yankees have been told that Young would accept a trade to New York. He’d be a safety net for the Yankees depending on what happens with Alex Rodriguez.
12:29 p.m. EDT update: ESPNBoston.com’s Gordon Edes was told it’s “doubtful” that the Red Sox will acquire Young.
Maybe it was the Jose Iglesias trade or maybe it was something he was open to all along, but Michael Young is now willing to waive his no-trade clause to go to Boston, FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports.
It was reported yesterday that Young was only willing to go back to Texas in a trade.
The 36-year-old Young homered last night and is batting .279/.345/.411 with eight homers and 34 RBI in 365 at-bats for the Phillies this year. He represents a safe third-base option for the Red Sox, but he’s one with a below average glove, limited power and a tendency to ground into double plays. In Xander Bogaerts and Will Middlebrooks, the Red Sox have alternatives with greater upside. Still, there might be something to be said for taking the sure thing.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 14
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)