Jul 31, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
2:06 p.m. EDT update: Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News says the Yankees have been told that Young would accept a trade to New York. He’d be a safety net for the Yankees depending on what happens with Alex Rodriguez.
12:29 p.m. EDT update: ESPNBoston.com’s Gordon Edes was told it’s “doubtful” that the Red Sox will acquire Young.
Maybe it was the Jose Iglesias trade or maybe it was something he was open to all along, but Michael Young is now willing to waive his no-trade clause to go to Boston, FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports.
It was reported yesterday that Young was only willing to go back to Texas in a trade.
The 36-year-old Young homered last night and is batting .279/.345/.411 with eight homers and 34 RBI in 365 at-bats for the Phillies this year. He represents a safe third-base option for the Red Sox, but he’s one with a below average glove, limited power and a tendency to ground into double plays. In Xander Bogaerts and Will Middlebrooks, the Red Sox have alternatives with greater upside. Still, there might be something to be said for taking the sure thing.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)