Jul 31, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
2:06 p.m. EDT update: Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News says the Yankees have been told that Young would accept a trade to New York. He’d be a safety net for the Yankees depending on what happens with Alex Rodriguez.
12:29 p.m. EDT update: ESPNBoston.com’s Gordon Edes was told it’s “doubtful” that the Red Sox will acquire Young.
Maybe it was the Jose Iglesias trade or maybe it was something he was open to all along, but Michael Young is now willing to waive his no-trade clause to go to Boston, FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports.
It was reported yesterday that Young was only willing to go back to Texas in a trade.
The 36-year-old Young homered last night and is batting .279/.345/.411 with eight homers and 34 RBI in 365 at-bats for the Phillies this year. He represents a safe third-base option for the Red Sox, but he’s one with a below average glove, limited power and a tendency to ground into double plays. In Xander Bogaerts and Will Middlebrooks, the Red Sox have alternatives with greater upside. Still, there might be something to be said for taking the sure thing.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 36
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 50
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)