Jul 31, 2013, 8:03 PM EST
The Angels’ two-year, $8 million marriage with left-handed reliever Sean Burnett is off to rocky start.
Burnett has made just 13 total appearances this season because of elbow issues and now Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times passes along word that he has been shut down for the final two months due to ongoing joint discomfort. He might need surgery, but it won’t be the Tommy John kind.
Burnett posted a dominant 2.38 ERA and 57/12 K/BB ratio in 56 2/3 innings last season for the Nationals and parlayed that into a nice free agent deal in Anaheim. He will make $3.75 million in 2014 and carries a $4.5 million club option for 2015.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)