Jul 31, 2013, 8:03 PM EDT
The Angels’ two-year, $8 million marriage with left-handed reliever Sean Burnett is off to rocky start.
Burnett has made just 13 total appearances this season because of elbow issues and now Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times passes along word that he has been shut down for the final two months due to ongoing joint discomfort. He might need surgery, but it won’t be the Tommy John kind.
Burnett posted a dominant 2.38 ERA and 57/12 K/BB ratio in 56 2/3 innings last season for the Nationals and parlayed that into a nice free agent deal in Anaheim. He will make $3.75 million in 2014 and carries a $4.5 million club option for 2015.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)