Jul 31, 2013, 12:26 PM EDT
Bud Norris makes no sense for an Astros team which seems laser-focused on turning veterans who won’t be part of the next winning Houston team into prospects. So this report from Brian T. Smith of the Chronicle should probably be read as “Bud Norris is going someplace today, we just don’t know where yet”:
The Astros have standing offers for No. 1 starter Bud Norris but are hoping a team increases its pitch during the final hours before a 3 p.m. CT non-waiver trade deadline, a league source with knowledge of negotiations said Wednesday morning.
Smith says the Pirates, Orioles and Dbacks have all shown interest.
Norris is 6-9 with a 3.93 ERA who probably allows more base runners than you’d like to see, but he’s been durable and reliable over his career and would help solidify most rotations, even if he’s not some sort of top-end, game-changing kind of talent.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)