Jul 31, 2013, 9:42 AM EST
The Cubs were rumored to be shopping Jeff Samardzija, but Jon Heyman reports that they’ve given up on that and will now try to lock him up this offseason or trade him then. It was worth looking around to see if the team could get some useful prospects for him, but that’s not really developing at the moment.
Samardzija is 6-9 with a 3.75 ERA and 146 Ks to 54 walks in 144 innings. He is 28, though, so the Cubs may have doubts that he’ll still be a good rotation piece by the time the team is ready to contend.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 14
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 67
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 35
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (102)