Jul 31, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
The Cubs were rumored to be shopping Jeff Samardzija, but Jon Heyman reports that they’ve given up on that and will now try to lock him up this offseason or trade him then. It was worth looking around to see if the team could get some useful prospects for him, but that’s not really developing at the moment.
Samardzija is 6-9 with a 3.75 ERA and 146 Ks to 54 walks in 144 innings. He is 28, though, so the Cubs may have doubts that he’ll still be a good rotation piece by the time the team is ready to contend.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)