Jul 31, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
The Cubs were rumored to be shopping Jeff Samardzija, but Jon Heyman reports that they’ve given up on that and will now try to lock him up this offseason or trade him then. It was worth looking around to see if the team could get some useful prospects for him, but that’s not really developing at the moment.
Samardzija is 6-9 with a 3.75 ERA and 146 Ks to 54 walks in 144 innings. He is 28, though, so the Cubs may have doubts that he’ll still be a good rotation piece by the time the team is ready to contend.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 33
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 47
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 23
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (163)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)