Jul 31, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
The Cubs were rumored to be shopping Jeff Samardzija, but Jon Heyman reports that they’ve given up on that and will now try to lock him up this offseason or trade him then. It was worth looking around to see if the team could get some useful prospects for him, but that’s not really developing at the moment.
Samardzija is 6-9 with a 3.75 ERA and 146 Ks to 54 walks in 144 innings. He is 28, though, so the Cubs may have doubts that he’ll still be a good rotation piece by the time the team is ready to contend.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)