Jul 31, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
The Cubs still have pieces on the table after dealing Matt Garza and Alfonso Soriano, and CSNChicago.com’s Patrick Mooney says the Pirates and Tigers have been sniffing around in advance of this afternoon’s trade deadline.
The Pirates are most likely interested in Nate Schierholtz to help with their right-field situation. Schierholtz has been a very pleasant surprise this year, hitting .272/.332/.517 with 14 homers and 43 RBI in 290 at-bats. Pirates right fielders as a whole have hit .231/.294/.366 with nine homers and 37 RBI in 407 at-bats.
The Cubs also have outfielder David DeJesus, infielder Luis Valbuena and catcher Dioner Navarro to sell. DeJesus, though, only recently returned from a shoulder injury, and he’s more likely to go in a waiver deal next month. Valbuena could be handy to a contender as a left-handed-hitting part-timer at third and second, and a trade would free up the Cubs’ third-base spot for the newly acquired Mike Olt. The 29-year-old Navarro has been terrific in his limited role this year, batting .294/.370/.510 with nine homers in 143 at-bats, but catcher hasn’t been a popular position in trade talks this month, as most of the contenders are pretty well set.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)