Albert Pujols won’t require surgery on foot, still hopes to return this season

Aug 1, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT

Albert Pujols AP AP

Albert Pujols landed on the disabled list over the weekend due to a partial tear of the left plantar fascia, but he’s still hoping to make it back this season.

According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Pujols said this evening that he will not require surgery on his foot since the tear naturally accomplished what surgery would have done. He expects to shed a walking boot in three weeks and hopes to begin working his way back to the Angels from there.

“I’ll see how I feel [after three weeks],” Pujols said. “But it’s still a long way until the season is done, so I don’t want to say that I’m done for the season. This is something that I’m going to take day-by-day. The way I feel right now, with no pain, I can say that I can go out there and play. But I need to put that weight on my heel and that’s going to take some time. I feel really good, to tell you the truth. I don’t feel any pain at all. I think after that tear, it kind of released the pain, which is good.”

Pujols said he was playing at “45 percent” this year while dealing with the nagging foot injury, so he thinks he can help even if he’s at “55 percent,” but there’s little sense of urgency for him to rush back for the final days of a lost season. The Angels will enter play tonight on a six-game losing streak and sit at 46-56 on the year.

Pujols, 33, is batting .258/.330/.437 with 17 home runs and 64 RBI in 99 games this season. He still has another eight years remaining on his 10-year, $240 million contract with the Angels.

1. Arods Other Doctor - Aug 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM

He’s fine. The Angels are holding him back.

• zstark94 - Aug 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

True

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 1, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Hey don’t forget Josh “1 win” Johnson, He’s fine too and the jays are not holding this guy back baby!

• moogro - Aug 2, 2013 at 12:56 AM

self-deport

• km9000 - Aug 2, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Johnson should self-deport back to the US?

• fanofevilempire - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Pujols is 33, but his birth certificate said he is 39.

2. andreweac - Aug 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Memo to Albertross: just get yourself 100% for 2014.

We need to lose games for a better draft pick and slot money. Unless you can contribute with a wRC+ below 100 this year you aren’t helping the 2013 goal.

3. lazlosother - Aug 1, 2013 at 8:37 PM

It must be difficult for a guy like Pujols. He spends 10 years playing at a level only the Demigods achieve, then his mortality catches up with him. I’m sure he knows in the abstract that this happens but the shock of reality has to be considerable. I have to admit I hope he is able to defy time for a while, I would love to see him come back and have another 3-5 years as Albert. Baseball is better when Albert is Albert.

• 1historian - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I agree with you but at the same time I have to say that the Cardinals knew just what they were doing when they let him go.

• km9000 - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Not that they didn’t try to keep him around a while. The Angels and Marlins just made the decision to let him go easier.

• stevequinn - Aug 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM

That would be 11 years.

• bfunk1978 - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM

2011 was off to a really slow start, though by the time it was done he was basically himself again. The same can really be said of last year, too. I mean, .285/.343/.516 with 30HR is pretty good, all things considered.

• jeffa43 - Aug 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM

You will be lucky to see 3-5 months…. 3 to 5 years, the guy is 48 and needs a cane.

Great contract!

4. zstark94 - Aug 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM

HE FINE BUT is he worth $254 Billion For Ten Years

• dan1111 - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:32 AM

That would be 924 times the average annual value of the next-highest contract and more than 8 times the entire MLB 2013 payroll, so I doubt he is worth that much.

• 1historian - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM

?

a simple “whoops” will suffice

5. jimatkins - Aug 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Albert needs to get totally, absolutely well, not 55%. I am really tired of seeing him hobble around the bases like a 90 year old. The Halos are on the Night Train to the Big Adios whether Albert comes back or not. Might as well get healed completely.

6. mahonm84 - Aug 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM

sick of hearing about how arod’s contract is the worst in mlb history. ap’s makes his seem like a bump in the road. never had an issue with the $ but the years. theres no way la ever realistically expected him to come close to playing it .

• dan1111 - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Personally, I’m tired of people prematurely claiming that Pujols’ contract is the worst ever.

Could it turn out that way? Sure. But it is way too soon to tell. He is one of the greatest hitters in MLB history, and I would not bet against him returning to a high level of play.

• bfunk1978 - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I agree with you. He can one day be Albert again.

And because of shitheads like Bartolo Colon, he’ll never escape the ensuing PED rumors, which is totally unfair.

7. michaeljacksonisback - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Thank God the cardinals were smart enough not to resign this idiot

• sportsfan18 - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Where do I even begin?

Uh, the Cardinals TRIED to resign Albert, they simply didn’t offer as much as the Angles, though they still offered $200 million or so. You say they (the Cardinals didn’t resign him, well were smart enough not to resign this idiot).

It was Albert who CHOSE the Halo’s over the Cardinals, NOT the Cardinals who told Albert to leave.

And I’d love to listen to you tell your wife at dinner one night that you turned down $245 million guaranteed dollars or so. I mean you could tell her that you were worried about some guy calling you an idiot on and online post about it if you did actually sign the $245 million dollar guaranteed contract like you know Albert did.

Here is the thing. It’s the owners and the GM’s who are the idiots for offering these kinds of contracts. I mean would you NOT sign one like this if it were placed in front of you?

The idiots AREN’T the players as they happily take what the IDIOT owners and GM FOOLISHLY offer them.

And even if you aren’t a Cardinals fan, many who are would NOT see Albert as an idiot if he had signed the Cardinals $200 or so million dollar offer even though it was a foolish offer and would have bitten them the way the contract is biting the Angles now.

• 1historian - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM

your points are well made in calling the owners idiots but the TRUE idiots are the people who pay outrageous ticket prices, don’t mind paying an arm and a leg for a lukewarm hot dog and a warm beer, get in line to pay $75 for a shirt and another $25 for a hat and don’t mind paying $20 to park a half a mile away from the stadium and then find you’re sitting next to some unpleasant drunk who’s still pissed because the old lady had a headache last night.

And then start planning the next time they’re gonna do it.

• km9000 - Aug 1, 2013 at 11:16 PM

While I agree owners are at fault for overspending on stars, in a sport where having stars doesn’t guarantee championships, Pujols easily could’ve stayed for less (and still a lot) in St Louis if he was happy enough there. That’s what Weaver did by extending before free agency, and I’m sure he and his wife are fine with it.

I do think in a lot of cases it’s about total years more than dollars (one extra year often seems to be a sticking point). Pujols’ stubbornness helped him be what he is, but it probably also convinced him he warranted a 10-year deal.

8. rbj1 - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Because finishing nine games under .500 is so much better than finishing eleven games under .500

9. rcali - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM

8 more years Angel fans and don’t forget Hamilton’s contract!

• jeffa43 - Aug 2, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Bad economics…. Pay for 10, get 1.7.

Stick a fork in him.. At best you get 1 more subpar year.

10. sportfan2 - Aug 2, 2013 at 7:01 AM

I knew when the Angels signed him for such a long contract it would be a mistake. Just didn’t know it would be a mistake so early in his contract.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5357)