Aug 1, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
I’m not a conspiracy theorist. I don’t believe that MLB’s discipline of Alex Rodriguez is specifically designed to get the Yankees out from under their contract obligations to him and save them from their awful mistake of promising him all of that money they agreed to give him before the 2008 season.
But man, it sure is a stroke of good fortune for the Yankees! Buck Showalter agrees:
Getting Rodriguez’s $25 million salary off their 2014 books would effectively reset a Yankees payroll projected to exceed a $189 million luxury tax threshold the club hoped to slip under. And if they’re freed from the $86 million owed Rodriguez from 2014 to ’17? Showalter fears Commissioner Bud Selig’s zeal to ban Rodriguez might turn the Yankees into free agent predators again.
“If Bud lets them get away with that, they’re under the luxury tax,” Showalter told USA TODAY Sports. “If they can reset, they can spend again and I guarantee you in two years Matt Wieters is in New York.”
That’s ridiculous. Why would the Yankees wait two years to use A-Rod money to sign Matt Wieters when they can simply sign Brian McCann this winter?
But in all seriousness: intended or not, let no one pretend that this Biogenesis business won’t be a boon to the Yankees.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 43
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 69
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)