Aug 1, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
We heard earlier today that Orioles manager Buck Showalter made some interesting comments to USA Today about the repercussions of a possible suspension of Alex Rodriguez, specifically that the Yankees would be able to get under the $189 million luxury tax threshold next season and potentially spend freely in free agency once again. He used his own catcher, Matt Wieters, as an example of someone who the Yankees could have their eye on. However, if Showalter had it his way, the comments would have never seen the light of day.
According to Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, Showalter said this afternoon that he thought his comments were off-the-record.
“I said it and someone decided to print it,” Showalter said. “It’s unfortunate, but what are you going to do? … It all boils out from the idea that we’d like Matt to be with us. We like him.”
Sure enough, Wieters was asked about the USA Today article prior to tonight’s game, so Showalter probably wasn’t upset about his general theory getting out as much as he was regretful about name-dropping one of his own players and causing a momentary distraction in the clubhouse. But the sentiment is certainly understandable. A suspension of Rodriguez — who is set to make $25 million next season — would be a gift to the Yankees.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)