Aug 1, 2013, 4:41 PM EST
Gonzalez has been dealing with a sprained left middle finger for weeks and opted out of the Home Run Derby because of it. He tried resting it for four days last week, and he went 5-for-5 after returning to Colorado’s lineup on Monday. However, it wasn’t enough to take care of the injury once and for all.
Gonzalez leads the NL with a .965 OPS this year, and he was on top in homers, too, before the finger injury became a bigger factor. He has just one since the All-Star break, and Domonic Brown has overtaken him for the NL lead, 27-26.
When Gonzalez stole two bases on Monday, it gave him his fourth straight 20 HR-20 SB season. The only active players with more career 20-20 seasons are Carlos Beltran (seven), Alex Rodriguez (six) and Hanley Ramirez (five). Jimmy Rollins and Alfonso Soriano also have four apiece.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)