Aug 1, 2013, 9:33 AM EST
We’re doing a new weekly video feature called “Hardball History.” It’s basically a “this week in baseball history” thing. We hope you like it. Even if, in this first installment, I called it “HBT History” by mistake. We’ll work the bugs out eventually. Promise.
Anyway, for this first installment we have Mickey Welch winning 300, 18 people getting into the Hall of Fame, Satchel Paige making his first start and the still mind-boggling Heathcliff Slocumb trade, without which none of us would be singing “Sweet Caroline” and “Fever Pitch” would still be about soccer.
Or maybe it’d be about the Mariners. Hard to say.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)