Aug 1, 2013, 9:33 AM EDT
We’re doing a new weekly video feature called “Hardball History.” It’s basically a “this week in baseball history” thing. We hope you like it. Even if, in this first installment, I called it “HBT History” by mistake. We’ll work the bugs out eventually. Promise.
Anyway, for this first installment we have Mickey Welch winning 300, 18 people getting into the Hall of Fame, Satchel Paige making his first start and the still mind-boggling Heathcliff Slocumb trade, without which none of us would be singing “Sweet Caroline” and “Fever Pitch” would still be about soccer.
Or maybe it’d be about the Mariners. Hard to say.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 0
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 4
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)