Introducing “Hardball History”

Aug 1, 2013, 9:33 AM EDT

We’re doing a new weekly video feature called “Hardball History.” It’s basically a “this week in baseball history” thing. We hope you like it. Even if, in this first installment, I called it “HBT History” by mistake. We’ll work the bugs out eventually. Promise.

Anyway, for this first installment we have Mickey Welch winning 300, 18 people getting into the Hall of Fame, Satchel Paige making his first start and the still mind-boggling Heathcliff Slocumb trade, without which none of us would be singing “Sweet Caroline” and “Fever Pitch” would still be about soccer.

Or maybe it’d be about the Mariners. Hard to say.

Enjoy:

1. dodger88 - Aug 1, 2013 at 9:53 AM

The baseball version of “Fever Pitch” was already in production when the Bosox won the World Series in 2004; as a result of their surprise win they changed the ending and even flew Fallon and Barrymore to St. Louis for the game 4 celebrations, which is why they could be seen on the field during the actual celebration as it aired on FOX. No CGI.

• umrguy42 - Aug 1, 2013 at 11:54 AM

And as a Cards fan, I will never watch that movie.

2. hushbrother - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:04 AM

The mass induction of the Negro Leaguers was ridiculous. They put in seventeen anonymous guys (and one woman) and somehow omitted Buck O’Neil and Minnie Minoso. O’Neil was alive at the time, too. What a farcical institution.

• jwbiii - Aug 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Buck O’Neil was a wonderful ambassador for the game. But really, how many backup catchers are in the Hall of Fame?

Lefty O’Doul would be a better choice.

3. retief1954 - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Yeah, thanks again for that one, Woody. And for the Tino Martinez-Jeff Nelson for Russ Davis-Sterling Hitchcock trade, too.

4. stevenewatson - Aug 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Mickey Welch was the cornerstone of a pretty awesome historical baseball team I built on What if Sports, back when I used to play on that site. Largely glad I moved on, but there’s nothing like historical fantasy baseball to really get to know the legends (nod here to Craig’s John Wetteland post) of the game…..

5. moogro - Aug 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Embedded videos on this site have gotten less reliable, often requiring reloading.

6. Walk - Aug 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I have also been getting odd errors such as “you must be logged in to comment” but I am logged in and even commented on other stories just before I get the error. I will have to start watching to see if it is just the stories with embedded videos.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet