Aug 1, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
Peavy was acquired from the White Sox on Tuesday night in a three-team deal that sent infielder Jose Iglesias to the Tigers. The veteran right-hander will take the rotation spot of Brandon Workman, who was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket today and will work as a middle reliever in the minors.
Peavy, who recently returned from a rib fracture, owns a 4.28 ERA and 76/17 K/BB ratio over 80 innings in 13 starts this season. The Red Sox are hoping he’ll add some stability to a rotation which has been without Clay Buchholz for nearly two months.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 22
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 45
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 33
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (157)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)