Aug 1, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
Peavy was acquired from the White Sox on Tuesday night in a three-team deal that sent infielder Jose Iglesias to the Tigers. The veteran right-hander will take the rotation spot of Brandon Workman, who was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket today and will work as a middle reliever in the minors.
Peavy, who recently returned from a rib fracture, owns a 4.28 ERA and 76/17 K/BB ratio over 80 innings in 13 starts this season. The Red Sox are hoping he’ll add some stability to a rotation which has been without Clay Buchholz for nearly two months.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)