Aug 1, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
ESPN’s T.J. Quinn reported yesterday that Alex Rodriguez‘s representatives were negotiating a possible settlement with MLB in regard to a suspension for his ties to Biogenesis. However, it appears that talks have broken down.
This seems to jibe with the latest update from Quinn, which says that Rodriguez’s representatives and MLB “aren’t anywhere close” to agreeing on the length of a suspension. Key for Rodriguez is that he wants to maximize the $100 million remaining on his contract with the Yankees.
As Craig Calcaterra reported yesterday, MLB is prepared to ban Rodriguez for life if a settlement isn’t reached. This would force him to fight the league through arbitration, where he could still be handed a lengthy suspension. Bud Selig has reportedly considered using the “best interests of baseball clause” to keep him off the field if he appeals.
There should be an announcement on a suspension any day now, but it sounds like the drama is just beginning.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 142
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 66
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (143)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)