See that my grave is kept clean

Aug 1, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT

Josh Gibson

Rob Neyer takes a road trip in the leadup to the SABR convention every year. On that road trip he and a couple of his friends visit the graves of baseball greats and play a game of catch.  It’s pretty cool. One of these years I’m going to arrange my life in such a way that I can join them.

This year, however, Rob and his friends found something a bit sad: Josh Gibson’s gave was somewhat neglected.  They cleaned it up and all seems right.  But the experience did cause Rob to reflect on an idea he has about what the Hall of Fame might do to prevent this sort of thing happening in the future.

Go read Rob’s story for both his pictures of Gibson’s final resting place and Rob’s wonderful, although, I fear, extremely hard to pull off idea.

1. modellforprez - Aug 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Show some Respect for the TRUE all time hime run king!! over 800 bombs. just cause Josh did it in a different league does not diminish what that man did.

• jrbdmb - Aug 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Well then you can’t forget Sadaharu Oh and his 868 home runs, just because they were hit across the pond in Japan.

• trollingforjustice - Aug 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Sadaharu Oh was the reason i welcomed players like Ichiro over to the big leagues here

• cohnjusack - Aug 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM

$7k?!??! A month?!?!? Working from home!!!! I’d be a fool NOT to do this.

Are you reading this boss? Cause FUCK YOU, I quit! Life is about to get sweet…

• Reflex - Aug 1, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Meh, I hear the benefits package sucks, and WFH is great till you realize you don’t get to have any real team events, ya know?

• cohnjusack - Aug 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM

You know, this comment doesn’t make as much sense when you delete the “work from home” spam message I responded too….

• historiophiliac - Aug 1, 2013 at 7:08 PM

We still love you, Dloyd Lobler.

• cur68 - Aug 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM

nah, but your incoherence is pretty amusing nonetheless.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Damnit, Cohn, and to think we’ve been wasting our life away working for the man.

No more I say.NO MORE!!!!

2. mybrunoblog - Aug 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM

The reburial idea for the HOFers seems a little creepy. These guys are long gone and at their final rest. Let their bodies rest in dignity rather than exhume their corpses that have been buried for 50 years or more and rebury them in Cooperstown NY.

3. mj1385051 - Aug 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21sYYBKyarU For Josh

4. historiophiliac - Aug 1, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Just to weigh in on the actual content of this post, leave them be. Let them rest in all the places that they are from so there are baseball memorials all across the country, instead of some hard to reach Mecca that only a few can visit.

• paperlions - Aug 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM

This.

Baseball isn’t Cooperstown’s game. Baseball players are from everywhere, and that is where they should rest….and “the people” are EVERYWHERE already as well. There is no reason at all for anyone to move a single grave in the name of “fandom”….and if they were to move them, Cooperstown is a dumb place to move them to for two reasons.

1) It is in the middle of no where. There actually are NOT any people there.

2) The HOF is in Cooperstown because of the mistaken notion, now long disproven, that Doubleday invented baseball. Why move graves to a place based on a fabrication?

5. Glenn - Aug 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I was driving home through Maryland from vacation with my family and hit a town called Sudlersville. It rung a bell but I couldn’t remember why. As we were going down the road, I saw a small statue of a baseball player on the side of the road. It hit me – Jimmy Foxx was born in Maryland. We stopped and took pictures and I recalled the story of the scout looking for someone else and asking this kid for directions. The kid supposedly pointed with his plow, making the scout take notice of his strength, and getting him signed. The story is probably apocryphal, but it was cool to find this little shrine to a baseball player I always liked. If it wasn’t for the booze, he would have given 714 a run for the money.

6. Paul White - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM

The disinterment idea isn’t the greatest in terms of practicality, but I do like the spirit behind it, and I think there’s a relatively simple alternative that is in the same spirit. Borrow a page from the military, which makes an effort to find the grave of all those who have received their highest award – The Medal of Honor – and replace the headstone with a nice marker that clearly identifies them as a recipient. Personally, I think it would be fabulous for all of the 300-ish Hall of Famers to have Hall-issued headstones (perhaps with the content of their plaques inscribed?) sprinkled throughout the country in each of the locations where they currently are buried. Far easier logistically, much less expensive, more respectful to the families and the local communities, and very much in keeping with the notion that baseball is America’s Pastime, not just Cooperstown’s.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act