Aug 1, 2013, 5:03 PM EST
Rob Neyer takes a road trip in the leadup to the SABR convention every year. On that road trip he and a couple of his friends visit the graves of baseball greats and play a game of catch. It’s pretty cool. One of these years I’m going to arrange my life in such a way that I can join them.
This year, however, Rob and his friends found something a bit sad: Josh Gibson’s gave was somewhat neglected. They cleaned it up and all seems right. But the experience did cause Rob to reflect on an idea he has about what the Hall of Fame might do to prevent this sort of thing happening in the future.
Go read Rob’s story for both his pictures of Gibson’s final resting place and Rob’s wonderful, although, I fear, extremely hard to pull off idea.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 1
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 20
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)