Aug 1, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
But, don’t worry, it’s just for Chris Getz.
The major criticism with the Royals’ decision to buy and not sell at the trade deadline was that they did nothing to address the black hole in their lineup at second base. Now they’ll be forced to try something a little different after Getz suffered a sprained knee in a collision with Adam Dunn over the weekend. Getz was hitting just .209/.280/.281 with one homer and 14 RBI in 153 at-bats on the season.
Remarkably, it’s only the second time the Royals have used the disabled list since Opening Day. It’s truly a remarkable run of health, though it hasn’t led to a better-than-expected record at 53-51. Reserve outfielder Jarrod Dyson was the only other player to go on the DL; he missed a month with a sprained ankle in the first half. They also had pitchers Felipe Paulino and Danny Duffy start off on the 60-day DL after both underwent Tommy John surgery last year.
Getz’s exit makes room for the newly acquired Justin Maxwell on the Royals’ roster, Johnny Giavotella is on the shelf in Triple-A, so he wasn’t a candidate to replace Getz right now. There wasn’t room for him anyway with the Royals carrying five outfielders. They’ll go with Elliot Johnson and Miguel Tejada at second base.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 65
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 31
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)