Aug 1, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
But, don’t worry, it’s just for Chris Getz.
The major criticism with the Royals’ decision to buy and not sell at the trade deadline was that they did nothing to address the black hole in their lineup at second base. Now they’ll be forced to try something a little different after Getz suffered a sprained knee in a collision with Adam Dunn over the weekend. Getz was hitting just .209/.280/.281 with one homer and 14 RBI in 153 at-bats on the season.
Remarkably, it’s only the second time the Royals have used the disabled list since Opening Day. It’s truly a remarkable run of health, though it hasn’t led to a better-than-expected record at 53-51. Reserve outfielder Jarrod Dyson was the only other player to go on the DL; he missed a month with a sprained ankle in the first half. They also had pitchers Felipe Paulino and Danny Duffy start off on the 60-day DL after both underwent Tommy John surgery last year.
Getz’s exit makes room for the newly acquired Justin Maxwell on the Royals’ roster, Johnny Giavotella is on the shelf in Triple-A, so he wasn’t a candidate to replace Getz right now. There wasn’t room for him anyway with the Royals carrying five outfielders. They’ll go with Elliot Johnson and Miguel Tejada at second base.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)