Aug 1, 2013, 8:23 AM EST
Jon Heyman reported late last night that Ruben Amaro and the Phillies rebuffed Brian Cashman and the Yankees’ offers to obtain Michael Young and Carlos Ruiz. No biggie, right? Just a report about near-misses at the deadline, the likes of which we so often see.
Ruben Amaro didn’t exactly brush it off, however, going on WIP in Philly this morning knocking Heyman’s report and saying that Heyman “is wrong a lot of times.” We’ll try to post the full interview when WIP makes it available later.
This sort of thing makes me feel all sorts of feelings. I mean, yes, ripping Jon Heyman is all kinds of fun. But it’s one thing for a sleazy little blogger boy to do it. It’s another thing for a GM to do it. Shouldn’t these sorts of reports just be chuckled off at most? More properly ignored?
And more to the point: Jon Heyman may be wrong sometimes, but I feel like he’s done his job way better than Amaro has in the past year or two. I mean, Heyman didn’t give that deal to Ryan Howard and make Delmon Young a major part of the 2013 business plan. Methinks Amaro is not in any position to go after people for their mistakes, real or imagined.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 85
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 8
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 33
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (102)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)