Aug 1, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
Jon Heyman reported late last night that Ruben Amaro and the Phillies rebuffed Brian Cashman and the Yankees’ offers to obtain Michael Young and Carlos Ruiz. No biggie, right? Just a report about near-misses at the deadline, the likes of which we so often see.
Ruben Amaro didn’t exactly brush it off, however, going on WIP in Philly this morning knocking Heyman’s report and saying that Heyman “is wrong a lot of times.” We’ll try to post the full interview when WIP makes it available later.
This sort of thing makes me feel all sorts of feelings. I mean, yes, ripping Jon Heyman is all kinds of fun. But it’s one thing for a sleazy little blogger boy to do it. It’s another thing for a GM to do it. Shouldn’t these sorts of reports just be chuckled off at most? More properly ignored?
And more to the point: Jon Heyman may be wrong sometimes, but I feel like he’s done his job way better than Amaro has in the past year or two. I mean, Heyman didn’t give that deal to Ryan Howard and make Delmon Young a major part of the 2013 business plan. Methinks Amaro is not in any position to go after people for their mistakes, real or imagined.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)