Cody Ross says Red Sox GM Ben Cherington “lied to my face”

Aug 2, 2013, 2:59 PM EDT

Cody Ross

Cody Ross left the Red Sox for the Dbacks via free agency. He’s back in Boston this weekend and went on WEEI for an airing of grievances:

“They told me that they didn’t want to sign guys to long-term deals, and then they gave [Shane] Victorino a three-year deal, and then [Mike] Napoli a three-year deal or four-year deal, whatever it was [later shortened to a one-year deal after health issues popped up]. So, basically they lied to my face. At that point, I kind of got a bad taste in my mouth and wanted to move on, and that was it.

These things are always a little bit of he-said, he-said. I don’t think it’s at all unreasonable to assume that Cherington told Ross they didn’t want to sign him to a long-term deal, as saying they weren’t signing anyone to such a deal isn’t exactly realistic.

As it is, Ross is having a sub-par year, so lying or not, I’d say Cherington made a good choice.

1. phillyupperdecker - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM

They didn’t want to sign YOU to a long term deal Cody. They were just being nice about it by saying there weren’t offering long term deals.

• shaggylocks - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Gah, it’s like in tenth grade when Cindy Behringer told me she wasn’t really interested in dating anyone right now, and then a week later started dating my friend Mike. I feel where you’re coming from, Cody. I feel ya. *thumps chest with fist*

• trollingforjustice - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

cindy and mike never made it into the prom either. they stayed in the back seat of mikes car the whole night

• shaggylocks - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Dammit, Mike, I know that thumbs down is you! Listen, I’ve already apologized a million times for starting that chlamydia rumor. Can’t we just let bygones be bygones?

• Gamera the Brave - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Brenda and Eddie were still goin’ steady in the summer of ’75.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Seriously – what would Ross have said if Ben had finished the sentence? Because that whole sentence would read … We don’t want to do longterm deals with replacement-level players.

2. buffal0sportsfan - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Also don’t forget about the monster deal Pedroia signed a couple weeks ago so they must have really really not wanted Ross back.

3. txrngr34 - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Perhaps Cherington’s idea of a long-term deal is 5+ years.

• eshine76 - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Those were my 1st thoughts. Maybe in the eyes of Cody Ross, anything beyond a minor league contract or 1 year is a “long term deal”

4. bobwsc - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM

and Larry Lucchino referred to Ross as part of the junior varsity squad last year. shame on you for not unloading on that blowhard, Cody.

5. El Bravo - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Cody, you have a WS ring and a huge playoff performance under your belt that includes homering off Halladay like nobody’s business, especially your business. Like he didn’t just pitch a no-no in that very same playoffs. You sir, have already peaked in ways you really should never have peaked, but that is how streaks and playoffs work. It is all downhill from there, buddy. Quit yer bitchin’.

6. historiophiliac - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM

It’s not you. It’s me. I’m just not ready for a long-term commitment. I think you’re a really great guy though. Damn my issues.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Thumbs down from those who have heard this ^ one too many times?

• benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM

now she’s a single lady with strong fart-wind /does happy pig spear dance

• indaburg - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Just thinking the same thing. It’s not you. It’s me.

• benjisbigumpblockingbutt - Aug 2, 2013 at 7:05 PM

you were thinking same thing as me? i thought that was your sister?! i don’t care but my smooth lady killer friend luke might not like that. /smiles the vacant smile of a happy daydream

7. pisano - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Hey Cody, get a clue, THEY DIDN”T WANY YOU, is that loud enough. Maybe, just maybe you struck out too much.

8. pisano - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM

error…want

9. detroitfanatic - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:19 PM

JD Drew. John Lester. Andrew Miller. Steven Drew. Cody Ross.

Maybe they are just tired of guys with 2 first names. Ben’s running those guys out of town. Next year they will have none.

10. detroitfanatic - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM

JD Drew. John Lester. Andrew Miller. David Ross. Steven Drew. Cody Ross.

• detroitfanatic - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Ughhh. Thumbs down. I thought of another, David ross, right after I pushed send. I Immediately hit page stop, but I see now it was too late. I gave myself the first thumbs down.

11. raysfan1 - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Airing of grievances?! Nuts, I though Festivus was in December! I don’t even have my pole up yet!

12. Jack Marshall - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Saying that the team doesn’t WANT to sign players to long-term deals is not the same as saying that the team won’t if it has to.

When Gomes was signed in lieu of Ross, the reaction from the stands was generally negative. Guess Ben knew what he was doing…

• paperlions - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Yep. At the time I pointed out that in 2012, Gomes was a better hitter than Ross, and the cheap sign was a good one if they planned to mostly platoon Gomes. Both Gomes and Ross destroy LHP but are below average against RHP. Gomes has been a better hitter than Ross this year too…and he was far cheaper in $ and years.

13. drewsylvania - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:35 PM

To think I thought Cody had a brain. The sox gave one guy (Victorino) a three-year deal. And he’s much better than you. (To say nothing of Pedroia and his well-earned extension) You’re a platoon player. You’ve always needed to be a platoon player. You get one team (Dbacks) to bite and give you too much money, and suddenly the Sox are the bad guys for not giving you the same?

They knew someone would give you too much money, so they stayed away. And you’re proving them right to do so by stinking in AZ.

Sour grapes.

14. threefingerclown - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM

A high-level executive in a multibillion dollar industry lied to an employee? Get right the heck out of here! How this isn’t CNN’s top story right now I’ll never know.

15. stratomaticfan - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Simply…you don’t give a big money, multi-year deal to a guy who only hits lefties…..you sign them to something like what Johnny Gomes got. He got a big (and pretty undeserved) pay day. Stop whining.

16. nsauser - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Ross is a journeyman. He was before he got hot in the World Series with the Giants and he’s been a journeyman ever since. When does a hot streak make you worthy of a long-term deal?

Cody Ross is to baseball like Vanilla Ice is to music.

17. sidelineshot - Aug 2, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Whatever Cody Ross thinks about Ben Cherington is totally irrelevant.
    Another millionaire cry baby.

18. anxovies - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Cody hit a HR over the Monster off of Lester earlier today so I guess he still hasn’t gotten over the angries.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3713)