Aug 2, 2013, 11:01 PM EST
Mets third baseman David Wright had to be removed from the game in the tenth inning of tonight’s game against the Royals after beating out an infield single. About three quarters of the way down the line, Wright grabbed at the back of his leg and limped his way through the bag. Pitcher Zack Wheeler was brought in to pinch-run.
ESPN’s Adam Rubin says that Wright had been dealing with a cramp in the same area, apparently minimal enough to play through it.
Mets kept saying Wright had a cramp and he could play through it. Clearly it's more than a cramp. And Wright leaving game.
— Adam Rubin (@AdamRubinESPN) August 3, 2013
In the event Wright needs a stint on the disabled list, Rubin suggests the Mets can use Justin Turner or Josh Satin at third base, or they can call up Zach Lutz. Lutz is enjoying a fine season with Triple-A Las Vegas, posting an .849 OPS.
As strange as it sounds, Wright has flown under the radar as an NL MVP candidate. He ranks second in Wins Above Replacement per FanGraphs (5.5) and third per Baseball Reference (5.4). After tonight’s game, his slash line stands at .309/.391/.512.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 0
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 54
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 36
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)