Aug 2, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
Mets third baseman David Wright had to be removed from the game in the tenth inning of tonight’s game against the Royals after beating out an infield single. About three quarters of the way down the line, Wright grabbed at the back of his leg and limped his way through the bag. Pitcher Zack Wheeler was brought in to pinch-run.
ESPN’s Adam Rubin says that Wright had been dealing with a cramp in the same area, apparently minimal enough to play through it.
Mets kept saying Wright had a cramp and he could play through it. Clearly it's more than a cramp. And Wright leaving game.
— Adam Rubin (@AdamRubinESPN) August 3, 2013
In the event Wright needs a stint on the disabled list, Rubin suggests the Mets can use Justin Turner or Josh Satin at third base, or they can call up Zach Lutz. Lutz is enjoying a fine season with Triple-A Las Vegas, posting an .849 OPS.
As strange as it sounds, Wright has flown under the radar as an NL MVP candidate. He ranks second in Wins Above Replacement per FanGraphs (5.5) and third per Baseball Reference (5.4). After tonight’s game, his slash line stands at .309/.391/.512.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 32
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 50
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)