Aug 2, 2013, 11:01 PM EST
Mets third baseman David Wright had to be removed from the game in the tenth inning of tonight’s game against the Royals after beating out an infield single. About three quarters of the way down the line, Wright grabbed at the back of his leg and limped his way through the bag. Pitcher Zack Wheeler was brought in to pinch-run.
ESPN’s Adam Rubin says that Wright had been dealing with a cramp in the same area, apparently minimal enough to play through it.
Mets kept saying Wright had a cramp and he could play through it. Clearly it's more than a cramp. And Wright leaving game.
— Adam Rubin (@AdamRubinESPN) August 3, 2013
In the event Wright needs a stint on the disabled list, Rubin suggests the Mets can use Justin Turner or Josh Satin at third base, or they can call up Zach Lutz. Lutz is enjoying a fine season with Triple-A Las Vegas, posting an .849 OPS.
As strange as it sounds, Wright has flown under the radar as an NL MVP candidate. He ranks second in Wins Above Replacement per FanGraphs (5.5) and third per Baseball Reference (5.4). After tonight’s game, his slash line stands at .309/.391/.512.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)