Aug 2, 2013, 11:01 PM EST
Mets third baseman David Wright had to be removed from the game in the tenth inning of tonight’s game against the Royals after beating out an infield single. About three quarters of the way down the line, Wright grabbed at the back of his leg and limped his way through the bag. Pitcher Zack Wheeler was brought in to pinch-run.
ESPN’s Adam Rubin says that Wright had been dealing with a cramp in the same area, apparently minimal enough to play through it.
Mets kept saying Wright had a cramp and he could play through it. Clearly it's more than a cramp. And Wright leaving game.
— Adam Rubin (@AdamRubinESPN) August 3, 2013
In the event Wright needs a stint on the disabled list, Rubin suggests the Mets can use Justin Turner or Josh Satin at third base, or they can call up Zach Lutz. Lutz is enjoying a fine season with Triple-A Las Vegas, posting an .849 OPS.
As strange as it sounds, Wright has flown under the radar as an NL MVP candidate. He ranks second in Wins Above Replacement per FanGraphs (5.5) and third per Baseball Reference (5.4). After tonight’s game, his slash line stands at .309/.391/.512.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 10
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 71
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)