Don’t worry about A-Rod’s finances if he’s banned for life

Aug 2, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT

Alex Rodriguez

Alex Rodriguez has made an awful lot of money in his career. And he’s even become a budding house-flipper. He’s doing OK.  But even if he lost everything to a bad bet tomorrow, A-Rod would not be broke in the event he is banned from baseball for life. He can thank Tom Hicks for that. Evan Grant reminds us:

The Rangers still owe Rodriguez approximately $40 million (which will grow to nearly $50 million by the time it is paid) in deferred money from his original contract. That money was later deferred even further to accommodate his trade to New York. It is to be paid from 2016-2025.

A ban would stop his current Yankees salary, but he still earned and is entitled to the money the Rangers agreed to give him way back in January 2001. I figure he’ll be able to get by on that just fine.

1. elwaysagenius - Aug 2, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I was definitely going to worry about A-Rod’s money. Thanks for the reassurance

• pinkfloydprism - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Me too. I really did not want to pass him on a street begging for change.

• fanofevilempire - Aug 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM

maybe he will pass you some change.

• pinkfloydprism - Aug 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM

No, I do well enough not to need it. But if he does, I hope it would be attitude change.

• fanofevilempire - Aug 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I wasn’t really worried, I just pray A-Rod gets his money that was promised in the contract, I also hope there is judge out who will no way Bud Selig and all you MLB Executives this ain’t going down like this.
      I think MLB IS STALLING……

• coloradogolfcoupons - Aug 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I , for one, was not worried. Madonna’s panties would go on eBay for a pretty penny, and he could have them duplicated and sell them to the Japan vending industry, where girls panties (used) go for about 12 bucks. At least, that’s what mine cost. So, I know his future is secure, no matter what…unless, of course, her panties were edible.

2. jcmeyer10 - Aug 2, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I mean he’s eating at Hooters (for Lunch!) and creeping outside of Starbucks without buying a coffee. This guy has cheap rich man written all over him who will spend a boat load but pinch every penny.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Whats wrong with eating at Hooters? Come for the breasts, stay for the wings!

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I never said that. I was just saying that he is acting like the guy worth 100 million who tips 18%.

• historiophiliac - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM

/sighs

3. sdelmonte - Aug 2, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Plus there will eventually be a book. He might deny everything over and over. He might tell all. He might talk about dating Madonna. But someone will pay him a lot of money for it.

• missthemexpos - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Time to start thinking of a title for the book, so many possibilities.

• sdelmonte - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM

If I Did It…

• tferr85 - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM

A-”Lightning”-Rod

• historiophiliac - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I’m guessing Oprah “gets” the interview.

4. heyblueyoustink - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I said this the other day. I don’t know why he’d even bother with any of this rot. Just take your money, go buy and island, you’re still a pretty good looking dude with a ton of cash to boot, go somewhere coastal or buy an island and collect some “friends” and be done with the politics of baseball.

• tferr85 - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM

That sounds like a great plan. Just walk away from 100,000,000 dollars.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM

With the cash he has already, I’m just saying, if I’m him, I say “to hell with all this, I’ll let my lawyers handle this mess. Life can be too short, I have big cash already, time to put it to good use. If I need a booster, i’ll do a tell all autobiography.”

• tferr85 - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

You say that when you don’t have 100,000,000 guaranteed to you via binding contract.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM

If I had 300 million already banked. yeah, I’d be able to call it a day. You forget all the endorsement deals he had before his first admission.

• danrizzle - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Even if he wouldn’t do it for the money, there’s a much more elegant and satisfying motivation for him to fight tooth and nail–pure, shameless spite.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Cut off his nose to spite his face. I’ve heard this before.

5. theinconvienenttruth - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM

ARod, if banned, should not received money for his current contract NOR should the Yankees be relieved of it…Catch 22

• asimonetti88 - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Where do you propose the money go if not to A-Rod? Should the Yankees just take the remaining $100 million or so, get it in small bills and light it on fire?

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Cut to scene in Dark Knight where the Joker character set fire to the pile of money.

• tferr85 - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM

MLBPA for retired player pensions.

• thesportsjudge - Aug 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Fix up youth baseball fields all over the country. Buy equipment for youth baseball that has trouble affording it.

• theinconvienenttruth - Aug 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Donate to Cancer Research

• ditto65 - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Fund a PED study.

• joenash72 - Aug 3, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Don’t light it on fire. A week or two ago some company did a promotion at an M’s game at Safeco Field. They took $7000 in $1 bills and dropped it as confetti on the crowd.

Think of the possibilities with $100 million. You could drop $1 million at each Yankee home game for a season and still have $19 million to spare :-)

6. sportsdrenched - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I think the A-Rod story has officially been covered from every angle. Because this is the LAST thing I was wondering about this whole deal.

7. sophiethegreatdane - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Yeah, because of millions of baseball fans everywhere were gasping at the idea Arod was going broke.

Come on HBT. Be better.

8. chip56 - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I am so damn tired of this story. And what’s funny to me is that the guy who wastes the most time and words on this story is Craig, the guy who mocks all others for beating the PED story to death in the first place and who speculates about how the constant buzz of the story will impact things like Hall of Fame weekend or the Trade Deadline.

He’s like a 400lb man complaining about obesity in the country while downing a Big Mac.

The announcements will come when they come. The fallout will be what the fallout will be. Some segment of writers and fans will decry MLB for overstepping and the other will applaud. The rest of this bullshit is just bullshit.

• ditto65 - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:56 AM

The door isn’t locked – you can leave at any time.

• chip56 - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Yes, by all means – I’m the asshole for pointing out the irony of Craig’s hypocrisy.

• ditto65 - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Did I call you an asshole?! If I did, I apologize.

I was merely pointing out that you need not visit this site if you do not like the content.

9. Old Gator - Aug 2, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I can honestly say that not once, throughout this entire ordeal of Bufogenesis reportage, have I ever, ever worried myself over A-roid’s finances. I always carry a box of Nutri-Grain fruit and cereal bars in my car for roadside indigents, so if worse comes to worst A-roid can stand on the curb under the Metrorail overpass at the junction of the Snapper Creek Expressway and US1 and I’ll always have a nutritious snack to hand out to him.

• fanofevilempire - Aug 2, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Old Gator you are a humanitarian, god bless.

10. rbj1 - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:31 AM

He’s also vested pension-wise. Glad this is one national nightmare averted.

11. chiadam - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I was totally worrying about this until just now. I should come out from the desk I was hiding under now.

12. caseoftastycakes - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM

“He sucks a ROD”

• ditto65 - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Phillies Phan, right?

• caseoftastycakes - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I am

13. jfk69 - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM

All that working out and I see a muffin top and new job offer at some point from Jenny Craig.

14. thenaturalmevs - Aug 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM

After taxes, I bet he’s liquid only about $25 million in the bank. I would bet any amount of money I have on that. He’s doing fine, but for all the money he’s been paid over his lifetime; that isn’t “a ton”

15. ironcitydonnieiris - Aug 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I’m getting all my stories mixed up with baseball and football. I thought I read somewhere that A-roid confessed to using in the early or mid 2000′s. is that correct? Or did someone else tattle on him? Or am I thinking of someone else altogether? If he did indeed confess to using, was he with Texas at the time? And if he was, could that be a breach of the contract? I would assume that would probably have to be written black and white into a contract, and even if it was, the lawyers know how to skate around things.

In all, A-roid could write a book for all professional athletes on how to use and invest $ wisely so they can still live comfortably after being suspended/banned from their sport. Of course, he may have made a penny or two more than the average superstar.

Seems like every year we have more and more cheaters being caught. Pretty soon, this will be the only thing making the news. “Last night in baseball, in the 10 games played, a record 3 natural players too the field. 10 teams won, ten teams lost. Some runs were scored(the natural players played no role in the wins). Lets get into the other players upcoming discipline. We spoke to all their lawyers and this is what they had to say…”

I know it won’t go down like that, but geez. I see the “entertainment side” of it all, but its pretty much telling most athletes you must cheat and do something illegal in order to be an entertainer. Looks like MLB is trying to make a statement, but will they in the long haul? I just don’t know anymore.

16. byjiminy - Aug 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I would be really, really pissed if the Yankees get let off the hook for agreeing to that dumb, dumb contract–they don’t deserve a gift like that, and a second chance to bludgeon everyone else with their billions.

A ruling that gave them back all the remaining money on A-Rod’s contract would destroy all credibility of the enforcement process. It’s a blatant conflict of interest.

The commissioner of baseball is NOT impartial–he is appointed by the owners, serves at the interest of owners, and if he makes a decision they don’t like, the owners can replace him. He is a former owner himself. The players have no say in appointing him. He in no way represents the players at large; he is a puppet for the owners.

If after the players’ union has FINALLY agreed to rules punishing PED users — I am not defending their reticence here! — and Selig goes OUTSIDE the collective bargain to unilaterally ban a player for PED use, with a punishment far in excess of the agreed on penalties, that alone would damage the credibility of the ruling, the impartiality of the system, and any ability for all parties to work together on this problem in the future.

That would be bad enough. But if the commissioner unilaterally flauts the collective bargaining process to make a decision that transfers over a HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS FROM A PLAYER TO AN OWNER, that is such a blatant conflict of interest, and such a huge F-U to the players, that it would blow up any credibility he had forever, and end any hope of collaboration with the union. I think it would be a huge mistake, and a huge injustice.

If the owners want to refuse to sign any contract that doesn’t include an out clause if the player is busted for using PEDs, I would support them. But they have to hold the line and take that stand BEFORE they put pen to paper. No one made them sign the stupid contracts they did, and no one should let them weasel out of their legal obligations.

The owner’s man hijacking the process to let them back out of contracts should end their anti-trust exemption for ever. And the players should end any pretense of respect for his supposed impartiality.

I don’t think A-Rod deserves the money he’s getting either, especially now that we know he’s a cheater. But then, I wouldn’t have signed that contract. You sign it, you live with it. You don’t lie or cheat your way out: not by defrauding an insurance company by claiming he’s still injured; not by having your puppet judge let you wriggle out of it. You man up and pay up. Anything else is breaking the law, IMO.

17. misterj167 - Aug 2, 2013 at 2:22 PM

It’s not about A-Rod. It’s about the owners trying to get back to where they were before they were forced to end the reserve clause.

18. sidelineshot - Aug 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM

That’s assuming that he has not leveraged that “guaranteed” future income.
    Be real. The guy could still end up broke. And remember … broke is a relative term.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4092)