Aug 2, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
After allowing four runs in three and one-third innings to the Phillies on Tuesday, an outing which boosted his ERA to 5.09, Giants manager Bruce Bochy moved him from the starting rotation to the bullpen. He was scheduled to start on Sunday against the Rays, but Guillermo Moscoso will get the nod instead. Additionally, Ryan Vogelsong is a week away from returning, so the Giants have several options while Zito takes a break.
More from CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly:
“Sometimes it’s just time for a change,” said Bochy, whose club is 0-9 in Zito’s starts away from AT&T Park. “You get in a rut and it’s just kind of been that kind of year for Barry. He pitched so well last year. But we did this in 2011, backed him off, and he pitched well.
“How long this is going to be, I couldn’t tell you.”
At 48-59 in last place in the NL West, the Giants will use at least some of the remaining two months to see what they have in Moscoso and Vogelsong. Moscoso was acquired in a trade with the Cubs on July 26, while Vogelsong has been out with a fractured pinky since May 21.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 47
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 31
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)