Aug 2, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
After allowing four runs in three and one-third innings to the Phillies on Tuesday, an outing which boosted his ERA to 5.09, Giants manager Bruce Bochy moved him from the starting rotation to the bullpen. He was scheduled to start on Sunday against the Rays, but Guillermo Moscoso will get the nod instead. Additionally, Ryan Vogelsong is a week away from returning, so the Giants have several options while Zito takes a break.
More from CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly:
“Sometimes it’s just time for a change,” said Bochy, whose club is 0-9 in Zito’s starts away from AT&T Park. “You get in a rut and it’s just kind of been that kind of year for Barry. He pitched so well last year. But we did this in 2011, backed him off, and he pitched well.
“How long this is going to be, I couldn’t tell you.”
At 48-59 in last place in the NL West, the Giants will use at least some of the remaining two months to see what they have in Moscoso and Vogelsong. Moscoso was acquired in a trade with the Cubs on July 26, while Vogelsong has been out with a fractured pinky since May 21.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)