Aug 2, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
After allowing four runs in three and one-third innings to the Phillies on Tuesday, an outing which boosted his ERA to 5.09, Giants manager Bruce Bochy moved him from the starting rotation to the bullpen. He was scheduled to start on Sunday against the Rays, but Guillermo Moscoso will get the nod instead. Additionally, Ryan Vogelsong is a week away from returning, so the Giants have several options while Zito takes a break.
More from CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly:
“Sometimes it’s just time for a change,” said Bochy, whose club is 0-9 in Zito’s starts away from AT&T Park. “You get in a rut and it’s just kind of been that kind of year for Barry. He pitched so well last year. But we did this in 2011, backed him off, and he pitched well.
“How long this is going to be, I couldn’t tell you.”
At 48-59 in last place in the NL West, the Giants will use at least some of the remaining two months to see what they have in Moscoso and Vogelsong. Moscoso was acquired in a trade with the Cubs on July 26, while Vogelsong has been out with a fractured pinky since May 21.
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 34
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 39
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 51
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)