Great Moments in knowing your right from your left: Mariners’ skipper signals for the wrong reliever
Aug 2, 2013, 9:06 AM EDT
Missed this from the Red Sox-Mariners game last night. It seems that during that epic ninth inning meltdown, Mariners acting manager Robby Thompson messed up when he was making a pitching change. He wanted to bring in right-handed reliever Yoervis Medina to take over for Tom Wilhelmsen, but he accidentally signaled with his left arm.
That meant that lefty Oliver Perez, who was warming alongside Medina, had to come in and face switch-hitter Shane Victorino. After him came righty Dustin Pedroia. You’d normally want Medina in that spot over Perez, but since lefty David Ortiz was up after Pedroia, Thompson decided to let Ollie power through to get the matchup against Ortiz.
He got Ortiz. But not before giving up a two-run single to Victorino and an RBI single to Pedroia, cutting the M’s lead to 7-6. Oops. Medina came in after that and promptly gave up what was left of that lead, so maybe it didn’t matter in the end. This was a pretty total bullpen failure as opposed to the failure of just one man.
Still: I was not aware that the arm the manager raised when calling for a reliever meant anything official. I figured it was just for purposes of letting the bullpen folks know who he wanted, not the umpires and the official scorer and God and everyone.
Guess you learn something new every day.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 25
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)