Great Moments in knowing your right from your left: Mariners’ skipper signals for the wrong reliever
Aug 2, 2013, 9:06 AM EDT
Missed this from the Red Sox-Mariners game last night. It seems that during that epic ninth inning meltdown, Mariners acting manager Robby Thompson messed up when he was making a pitching change. He wanted to bring in right-handed reliever Yoervis Medina to take over for Tom Wilhelmsen, but he accidentally signaled with his left arm.
That meant that lefty Oliver Perez, who was warming alongside Medina, had to come in and face switch-hitter Shane Victorino. After him came righty Dustin Pedroia. You’d normally want Medina in that spot over Perez, but since lefty David Ortiz was up after Pedroia, Thompson decided to let Ollie power through to get the matchup against Ortiz.
He got Ortiz. But not before giving up a two-run single to Victorino and an RBI single to Pedroia, cutting the M’s lead to 7-6. Oops. Medina came in after that and promptly gave up what was left of that lead, so maybe it didn’t matter in the end. This was a pretty total bullpen failure as opposed to the failure of just one man.
Still: I was not aware that the arm the manager raised when calling for a reliever meant anything official. I figured it was just for purposes of letting the bullpen folks know who he wanted, not the umpires and the official scorer and God and everyone.
Guess you learn something new every day.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)