Great Moments in knowing your right from your left: Mariners’ skipper signals for the wrong reliever
Aug 2, 2013, 9:06 AM EDT
Missed this from the Red Sox-Mariners game last night. It seems that during that epic ninth inning meltdown, Mariners acting manager Robby Thompson messed up when he was making a pitching change. He wanted to bring in right-handed reliever Yoervis Medina to take over for Tom Wilhelmsen, but he accidentally signaled with his left arm.
That meant that lefty Oliver Perez, who was warming alongside Medina, had to come in and face switch-hitter Shane Victorino. After him came righty Dustin Pedroia. You’d normally want Medina in that spot over Perez, but since lefty David Ortiz was up after Pedroia, Thompson decided to let Ollie power through to get the matchup against Ortiz.
He got Ortiz. But not before giving up a two-run single to Victorino and an RBI single to Pedroia, cutting the M’s lead to 7-6. Oops. Medina came in after that and promptly gave up what was left of that lead, so maybe it didn’t matter in the end. This was a pretty total bullpen failure as opposed to the failure of just one man.
Still: I was not aware that the arm the manager raised when calling for a reliever meant anything official. I figured it was just for purposes of letting the bullpen folks know who he wanted, not the umpires and the official scorer and God and everyone.
Guess you learn something new every day.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)