Aug 2, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
Mets 51s outfielder Jordany Valdespin has made a name for himself in his still-young baseball career by being exuberant and brash, no matter if he is in the Majors or toiling away in the Minors. In May, he upset the Pirates by showboating a home run with his team down 7-1. A few weeks ago, he threw a temper tantrum after learning he was being demoted to Triple-A Las Vegas.
His latest incident involved some more showboating, and now he’s been suspended three games for his role in a bench-clearing brawl stemming from his showmanship.
Wally Backman, Jordany Valdespin and Armando Rodriguez were issued suspensions by the Pacific Coast League for their part in a bench-clearing incident earlier this week in Las Vegas, the 51s and the league both confirmed to MetsBlog.
On Monday night in Las Vegas, Valdespin hit a three-run home run in the second game of a doubleheader against the Sacramento River Cats.
Valdespin watched his home run, and carried his bat halfway down the first base line, before dropping it and rounding the bases.
Later in the game, River Cats pitcher Brian Gordon threw inside at Valdespin, hitting him in the hand. Gordon was issued a warning by home plate umpire Greg Stanzak. In the top of the next inning, Rodriguez threw at Sacramento’s Grant Green, hitting him. He and Rodriguez exchanged words as Green walked up the first base line, which triggered the benches to clear.
The Mets have been openly critical of Valdespin’s antics in the past. He seems eager to find out exactly how much rope he’ll be given.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)