Aug 2, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
Mets 51s outfielder Jordany Valdespin has made a name for himself in his still-young baseball career by being exuberant and brash, no matter if he is in the Majors or toiling away in the Minors. In May, he upset the Pirates by showboating a home run with his team down 7-1. A few weeks ago, he threw a temper tantrum after learning he was being demoted to Triple-A Las Vegas.
His latest incident involved some more showboating, and now he’s been suspended three games for his role in a bench-clearing brawl stemming from his showmanship.
Wally Backman, Jordany Valdespin and Armando Rodriguez were issued suspensions by the Pacific Coast League for their part in a bench-clearing incident earlier this week in Las Vegas, the 51s and the league both confirmed to MetsBlog.
On Monday night in Las Vegas, Valdespin hit a three-run home run in the second game of a doubleheader against the Sacramento River Cats.
Valdespin watched his home run, and carried his bat halfway down the first base line, before dropping it and rounding the bases.
Later in the game, River Cats pitcher Brian Gordon threw inside at Valdespin, hitting him in the hand. Gordon was issued a warning by home plate umpire Greg Stanzak. In the top of the next inning, Rodriguez threw at Sacramento’s Grant Green, hitting him. He and Rodriguez exchanged words as Green walked up the first base line, which triggered the benches to clear.
The Mets have been openly critical of Valdespin’s antics in the past. He seems eager to find out exactly how much rope he’ll be given.
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 8
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 7
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)