Aug 2, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Mets 51s outfielder Jordany Valdespin has made a name for himself in his still-young baseball career by being exuberant and brash, no matter if he is in the Majors or toiling away in the Minors. In May, he upset the Pirates by showboating a home run with his team down 7-1. A few weeks ago, he threw a temper tantrum after learning he was being demoted to Triple-A Las Vegas.
His latest incident involved some more showboating, and now he’s been suspended three games for his role in a bench-clearing brawl stemming from his showmanship.
Wally Backman, Jordany Valdespin and Armando Rodriguez were issued suspensions by the Pacific Coast League for their part in a bench-clearing incident earlier this week in Las Vegas, the 51s and the league both confirmed to MetsBlog.
On Monday night in Las Vegas, Valdespin hit a three-run home run in the second game of a doubleheader against the Sacramento River Cats.
Valdespin watched his home run, and carried his bat halfway down the first base line, before dropping it and rounding the bases.
Later in the game, River Cats pitcher Brian Gordon threw inside at Valdespin, hitting him in the hand. Gordon was issued a warning by home plate umpire Greg Stanzak. In the top of the next inning, Rodriguez threw at Sacramento’s Grant Green, hitting him. He and Rodriguez exchanged words as Green walked up the first base line, which triggered the benches to clear.
The Mets have been openly critical of Valdespin’s antics in the past. He seems eager to find out exactly how much rope he’ll be given.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)