Aug 2, 2013, 9:55 PM EDT
Marlins starter Jose Fernandez was staked to a 5-0 lead after three innings, but in reality, all he needed was one run given how dominant he looked against the Indians tonight. The 20-year-old Cuban struck out 14 batters over eight innings, allowing just three hits and one walk. In his previous start against the Pirates, he struck out 13 and walked none in eight innings. He now has a 2.54 ERA and continues to pad his case for the NL Rookie of the Year and NL Cy Young awards.
The bulk of the Marlin offense tonight came from first baseman Logan Morrison, who went 4-for-5 with four runs batted in. Christian Yelich, Adeiny Hechavarria, and Jake Marisnick also contributed three hits apiece. The Fish scored five against Indians starter Ubaldo Jimenez, who lasted four innings. They then added a five-spot in the bottom of the eighth against reliever Matt Albers.
The 14-strikeout performance is Fernandez’s first of the season and the seventh overall in baseball this year. Yu Darvish has accomplished the feat four times, including last night, while Chris Sale and Anibal Sanchez have done it once each.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 67
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 63
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)