Aug 2, 2013, 5:43 PM EST
Jim Leyland’s lineup for tonight’s game against the White Sox originally had new infielder Jose Iglesias making his Tigers debut at second base. Now he’s going to third base as Miguel Cabrera has been scratched, presumably due to lingering abdominal issues which have kept him out of the past two games.
Third base is more familiar to Iglesias anyway, as he spent most of his time with Boston there. Ultimately, however, he’ll be the Tigers’ everyday shortstop given Jhonny Peralta‘s presumed suspension for his role in the Biogenesis mess.
Oh, and one odd note: Iglesias will wear number 1 for the Tigers. Which, let’s be honest folks, shouldn’t be an option. Lou Whitaker wore number one and it should have been retired. Yes, that’s my opinion. But I feel like it’s way closer to scientific fact than most things along these lines.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)