Aug 2, 2013, 5:43 PM EDT
Jim Leyland’s lineup for tonight’s game against the White Sox originally had new infielder Jose Iglesias making his Tigers debut at second base. Now he’s going to third base as Miguel Cabrera has been scratched, presumably due to lingering abdominal issues which have kept him out of the past two games.
Third base is more familiar to Iglesias anyway, as he spent most of his time with Boston there. Ultimately, however, he’ll be the Tigers’ everyday shortstop given Jhonny Peralta‘s presumed suspension for his role in the Biogenesis mess.
Oh, and one odd note: Iglesias will wear number 1 for the Tigers. Which, let’s be honest folks, shouldn’t be an option. Lou Whitaker wore number one and it should have been retired. Yes, that’s my opinion. But I feel like it’s way closer to scientific fact than most things along these lines.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (75)