Aug 2, 2013, 5:43 PM EDT
Jim Leyland’s lineup for tonight’s game against the White Sox originally had new infielder Jose Iglesias making his Tigers debut at second base. Now he’s going to third base as Miguel Cabrera has been scratched, presumably due to lingering abdominal issues which have kept him out of the past two games.
Third base is more familiar to Iglesias anyway, as he spent most of his time with Boston there. Ultimately, however, he’ll be the Tigers’ everyday shortstop given Jhonny Peralta‘s presumed suspension for his role in the Biogenesis mess.
Oh, and one odd note: Iglesias will wear number 1 for the Tigers. Which, let’s be honest folks, shouldn’t be an option. Lou Whitaker wore number one and it should have been retired. Yes, that’s my opinion. But I feel like it’s way closer to scientific fact than most things along these lines.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 4
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 38
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)