Aug 2, 2013, 5:43 PM EDT
Jim Leyland’s lineup for tonight’s game against the White Sox originally had new infielder Jose Iglesias making his Tigers debut at second base. Now he’s going to third base as Miguel Cabrera has been scratched, presumably due to lingering abdominal issues which have kept him out of the past two games.
Third base is more familiar to Iglesias anyway, as he spent most of his time with Boston there. Ultimately, however, he’ll be the Tigers’ everyday shortstop given Jhonny Peralta‘s presumed suspension for his role in the Biogenesis mess.
Oh, and one odd note: Iglesias will wear number 1 for the Tigers. Which, let’s be honest folks, shouldn’t be an option. Lou Whitaker wore number one and it should have been retired. Yes, that’s my opinion. But I feel like it’s way closer to scientific fact than most things along these lines.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 7
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)