Aug 2, 2013, 5:43 PM EDT
Jim Leyland’s lineup for tonight’s game against the White Sox originally had new infielder Jose Iglesias making his Tigers debut at second base. Now he’s going to third base as Miguel Cabrera has been scratched, presumably due to lingering abdominal issues which have kept him out of the past two games.
Third base is more familiar to Iglesias anyway, as he spent most of his time with Boston there. Ultimately, however, he’ll be the Tigers’ everyday shortstop given Jhonny Peralta‘s presumed suspension for his role in the Biogenesis mess.
Oh, and one odd note: Iglesias will wear number 1 for the Tigers. Which, let’s be honest folks, shouldn’t be an option. Lou Whitaker wore number one and it should have been retired. Yes, that’s my opinion. But I feel like it’s way closer to scientific fact than most things along these lines.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 4
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 14
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)