Aug 2, 2013, 9:37 AM EDT
Melky Cabrera is not having the best year ever. In the past 12 months he has been suspended for PEDs, shut out of his team’s World Series win and subsequent celebration, regulated out of a batting title the rules of baseball specify should have been his and then signed a nice free agent contact, but one that is orders of magnitude smaller than the one he would have signed had he not gotten busted.
All of his own doing obviously, so no one should shed a tear for him, but I’m sure he’s not all that happy about how it’s gone down. Now this:
Melky Cabrera to DL with left knee strain. Neal Wagner recalled
— Shi Davidi (@ShiDavidi) August 2, 2013
This amid a season in which he is hitting a weak .279/.322/.360.
I guess the silver lining is that, since he was suspended last year, he only got the 50 games and the embarrassment. If he passed by undetected he’d now be facing Ryan Braun–Alex Rodriguez-level discipline. So buck up, Melky! It could be worse!
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 14
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 33
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)