Aug 2, 2013, 9:37 AM EDT
Melky Cabrera is not having the best year ever. In the past 12 months he has been suspended for PEDs, shut out of his team’s World Series win and subsequent celebration, regulated out of a batting title the rules of baseball specify should have been his and then signed a nice free agent contact, but one that is orders of magnitude smaller than the one he would have signed had he not gotten busted.
All of his own doing obviously, so no one should shed a tear for him, but I’m sure he’s not all that happy about how it’s gone down. Now this:
Melky Cabrera to DL with left knee strain. Neal Wagner recalled
— Shi Davidi (@ShiDavidi) August 2, 2013
This amid a season in which he is hitting a weak .279/.322/.360.
I guess the silver lining is that, since he was suspended last year, he only got the 50 games and the embarrassment. If he passed by undetected he’d now be facing Ryan Braun–Alex Rodriguez-level discipline. So buck up, Melky! It could be worse!
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 17
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)