Aug 2, 2013, 9:37 AM EDT
Melky Cabrera is not having the best year ever. In the past 12 months he has been suspended for PEDs, shut out of his team’s World Series win and subsequent celebration, regulated out of a batting title the rules of baseball specify should have been his and then signed a nice free agent contact, but one that is orders of magnitude smaller than the one he would have signed had he not gotten busted.
All of his own doing obviously, so no one should shed a tear for him, but I’m sure he’s not all that happy about how it’s gone down. Now this:
Melky Cabrera to DL with left knee strain. Neal Wagner recalled
— Shi Davidi (@ShiDavidi) August 2, 2013
This amid a season in which he is hitting a weak .279/.322/.360.
I guess the silver lining is that, since he was suspended last year, he only got the 50 games and the embarrassment. If he passed by undetected he’d now be facing Ryan Braun–Alex Rodriguez-level discipline. So buck up, Melky! It could be worse!
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 11
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 42
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)