Aug 2, 2013, 9:37 AM EDT
Melky Cabrera is not having the best year ever. In the past 12 months he has been suspended for PEDs, shut out of his team’s World Series win and subsequent celebration, regulated out of a batting title the rules of baseball specify should have been his and then signed a nice free agent contact, but one that is orders of magnitude smaller than the one he would have signed had he not gotten busted.
All of his own doing obviously, so no one should shed a tear for him, but I’m sure he’s not all that happy about how it’s gone down. Now this:
Melky Cabrera to DL with left knee strain. Neal Wagner recalled
— Shi Davidi (@ShiDavidi) August 2, 2013
This amid a season in which he is hitting a weak .279/.322/.360.
I guess the silver lining is that, since he was suspended last year, he only got the 50 games and the embarrassment. If he passed by undetected he’d now be facing Ryan Braun–Alex Rodriguez-level discipline. So buck up, Melky! It could be worse!
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 28
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)