Aug 2, 2013, 9:37 AM EST
Melky Cabrera is not having the best year ever. In the past 12 months he has been suspended for PEDs, shut out of his team’s World Series win and subsequent celebration, regulated out of a batting title the rules of baseball specify should have been his and then signed a nice free agent contact, but one that is orders of magnitude smaller than the one he would have signed had he not gotten busted.
All of his own doing obviously, so no one should shed a tear for him, but I’m sure he’s not all that happy about how it’s gone down. Now this:
Melky Cabrera to DL with left knee strain. Neal Wagner recalled
— Shi Davidi (@ShiDavidi) August 2, 2013
This amid a season in which he is hitting a weak .279/.322/.360.
I guess the silver lining is that, since he was suspended last year, he only got the 50 games and the embarrassment. If he passed by undetected he’d now be facing Ryan Braun-Alex Rodriguez-level discipline. So buck up, Melky! It could be worse!
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (88)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)